Thread: Looking for a nice Dado set with a 1" arbor for my PM model 72 TS - Suggestions

Looking for a nice Dado set with a 1" arbor for my PM model 72 TS - Suggestions

A friend of mine just bought a very nice 1966 Powermatic Model 72 Table Saw. It has the 1" arbor. Seems most dado sets are for the 5/8" Arbor. Looking for suggestions. Thank you, Tim

Any dado set can be bored out for a 1" arbor. I bet there is someone locally that will be able to do that for you. Or, you can order the Forrest set with 1" bore, or one from Amana, or Leuco...

IIRC, Forrest will drill out the arbor on their Dado King -- a very good set, IMHO -- but some of them COME in 1" arbor.....

LINK

Or the Infinity Dadonator. Looks like they stock the normal 5/8, 30mm and 1". Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Look on CL. There are lots of used dado sets that are little used. I bought a Forrest and a Freud that way. That saw will handle an 8" or a 10". Sometimes the 10" are a decent deal as most saws can't really handle them. Dave

Forrest and Ridge both sell dados in 1" arbor. If its a 12" saw a 10" dado may work better? WE have a forrest dado on a 12" saw at at work with a 1" arbor. Freud also makes a 10" dado with 1" arbor. Any of them do a fine job.

I have Forrests and Freuds best in 8" with 1" arbor, and the Forrest is definatly better. There is nothing wrong with the Freud, but the Forrest is just better. Of course the Forrest costs more so it should be better.

I recently ordered an Onscrud 8" but have not had an opportunity to test it out yet.

Larry

I've heard a couple people say good things about:
    http://ridgecarbidetool.com/saws-and...o-masters.html
    haven't tried them myself, post and say if you like them if you have (I'm casually looking for a new dado as well in a different bore).

Another great supplier is FS Tools..............Regards, Rod.

Really happy with my Forrest dado king, the cut is great. I had a Freud super dado for awhile, it was a great blade. When I changed to a slider I had to find a set that was drilled for 30mm and pins, so I chose Forrest, I would consider it a step up from the Freud.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have Forrests and Freuds best in 8" with 1" arbor, and the Forrest is definatly better. There is nothing wrong with the Freud, but the Forrest is just better. Of course the Forrest costs more so it should be better.

I recently ordered an Onscrud 8" but have not had an opportunity to test it out yet.

Larry
    I agree with Larry on this. The Forrest does make a cleaner, flatter bottom cut, and seems a bit quieter in operation for some reason. But given most dados are blind, A few ATB wings don't mean much ultimately. I guess it depends on what you are using it for whether or not the forrest is worth the premium? I bought forrest for my home shop but use both Forrest and Freud at work.m I'd buy the forrest again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll pass them on to Bill. Tim