Thread: Christmas Suggestion (Image included)

Christmas Suggestion (Image included)

Every year I try to make some small project for my kids. Over the years I have made several things; e.g., stool, plant stand, mantle clock, jewelry box, etc. This ends up being a major undertaking since I have eleven children (all married). I never mind making one or two of most anything but when you have to do eleven of them it really gets boring. This year I went really simple and thought I might share my project with you in case some of you are looking for something that you can do quickly.

My project for this year is a key holder where you can hang your keys when you come into the house. It can be made out of inexpensive wood such as Poplar or even MDF and then painted with satin enamel from a rattle can. I made one for me as well and stained it to match my cabinets. Here is a picture of the key holder:

The dimensions are 12'' x 12" and 1 1/2" wide frame
    I used poplar for the frame and 1/4" birch ply for the interior
    A half lap or bridal joint will work fine for the corners of the frame.
    I used a 1/4" router bit for the groove
    I got the hardware from Ebay and it was reasonable with free shipping. Posters name is "gliderite"
    Company's name is Glide Rite Hardware, 565 W. Covina Blvd., San Diego, CA 91773-2911
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 11-10-2011 at 5:49 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon -

Great idea for something quick...well quick for us with only a couple of kids I know they'll enjoy it and have enjoyed everything you've given them so far!

Thanks for sharing the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    Gordon -

Great idea for something quick...well quick for us with only a couple of kids I know they'll enjoy it and have enjoyed everything you've given them so far!

Thanks for sharing the plan!
    Thanks Troy, it sure beats the old plastic one I had hanging in my kitchen. I have all of them finished and in boxes ready for shipment to my kids. Now I have got to start thinking about next year.
    Best Regards,

Gordon