Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you stand on while turning?

Besides the usual good quality mat, SWMBO bought me an electrically heated mat. I put that on top of my regular mat and my feet are not quite as cold
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Donny, I think I have a rubber mat that I stand on. Ah, yes I do. Unfortunately, shortly after starting a piece I find myself standing on shavings. When my back starts hurting and my hand position doesn't feel right I look down. It's time to get out the broom. Helpful hint: If you have to kneel to turn you are past the broom stage.......it's time for the show shovel.
    I turn, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    Donny, I think I have a rubber mat that I stand on. Ah, yes I do. Unfortunately, shortly after starting a piece I find myself standing on shavings. When my back starts hurting and my hand position doesn't feel right I look down. It's time to get out the broom. Helpful hint: If you have to kneel to turn you are past the broom stage.......it's time for the show shovel.
    I,ve a brand-new show shovel and I hope that it stay a show shovel not a snow shovel

Ditto on the horse stall mat ($39 at Tractor Supply). I also wear Croc's when turning. I tried the puzzle mat from Sam's Club, but find the thicker stall mat is better and easier to clean.
    Del

Thanks for the Great replies and suggestions. I will double check the lathe height and get a mat. The shavings are not working because they are not even all the time.

I went very low tech for mine. A couple thickness of carpet padding and a cheap rubber runner.

I use the Gel mat they sell at Home Depot in the flooring dept the color isn't to good but man they are GREAT for the feet,legs,back and all other body parts. I have a bad back and knees and this thing is great. I also use Dr Sholles Work Mate insoles and my shop floor is coverd with 1/2" thick interlocking rubber pads which I've had for years and they worked good but the Gel Mat really made a huge difference's.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

if the mats are on the floor and a sheet of plywood are place on top of the mats, will this help your feet ? how would innertubes under the plywood help ?

I have 3/4" ply over 1" sleepers on my concrete floor. A lot better than concrete but can still get tiring so I added the interlocking foam mats in front of the lathe. Have another more expensive mat on top of that. All that and a pair of Timberland Pro workboots keeps me comfortable.

I use a hard rubber mat with holes in it I got from one of the 'borgs a few years back. They interlock and I have them in front of my lathe, bench and table saw.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

What do I stand on while turning?

Why, the shoulders of giants, of course.

Shavings - lots and lots of shavings on top of concrete. I need a rubber mat to so my shavings feel softer.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rubber mat from Lowe's and Crocs. The Crocs have been a lifesaver on concrete.........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Upwood View Post
    I find standing with one foot on a house brick or something that size for half hour then reversing feet really eases back pressure.
    That's why there's bar rails!! People that get tired don't drink as much........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA