Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you stand on while turning?

I use the inexpensive play mats from Sam's Club. I double them up but I am looking for a replacement. The puzzle like edges dont stay together after a while and I would rather have a anti-fatigue mat. At our office the CSR's have some really nice squishy floor mats. I might have to ask them where they came from.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have a skateboard on a track with a short ramp at each end. It makes proper technique easier, I just start on one of the ramps and get into position on the board. When I am ready to make the first cut I simply nudge myself down the ramp and hold my body still, thus effecting the perfect cut technique as minimal movement comes from my arms. I find it much easier than the common method that involves using your legs and hips. The ramp at the other end slows me down and returns me to position for the next cut. With good bearings I find that I can get about three passes before needing to start over at the top of the first ramp.
    I use these mats from woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...eled-Edge.aspx They quite often go on sale for around $15. They also clean up pretty easy and roll up small when I don't need them.

I have interlocking foam pads all over my shop. It also softens the blow when you drop a gouge.

i stand on about 3 inches of shavings
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Donny,

Good Question! You have to be comfortable when turning or your discomfort is a distraction at the least. I use matts that I got from Sams Club. They really work well and are designed that you can place them in any configuration you might like. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...384&navAction=

Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I have a wood floor but I stand on a heated anti fatigue mat.

Used anti-fatigue mats that i snag from work when they toss them out - they have two kinds, solid and ones with about one inch holes in them - the holey ones are nice.

Anther thing ive done is stand on a piece of plywood (i have concrete floor too) - it made a pretty big difference.

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Trellis Wellness Mat. 2'x3' is $115.00. They must have a minimum selling price because a web search shows all the same price . They are made in USA and although they are definitely pricey I guarantee you will not regret buying it once you have it.

I have two layers of anti-fatigue mats all year round, and a heated mat on top of those in the colder months. That cushion helps all year long and having warm feet in the winter helps alot.

this is one of the reasons I have the old Nova 3000. I can sit and do bowls head on..I can use a stool with wheels and maneuver just like I'm on my feet. i can also sit up very straight & take the pulling and tension out of my back.

Donny, I had a hip replacement because of an accident. I had a problem with my back and side of the replacement hurting when I turned on the lathe. The Nurse practitioner whose husband is a turner suggested getting a closed foam mat at Home Depot She uses them in her kitchen. They are about 2X3 ft for $19.00 in the carpet area. Worked wonders.

I am and always have been flat footed. It is inherited, all the men on my dads side of the family have the problem including my little boy. When I was younger it was not big deal but after the age of 40 I have noticed by heals just killing me from the pressure I put on them all day. I was at harbor freight a couple of weeks ago and they had their 4 piece anti-fatigue mats on sale for $6.99 For that kind of money I had to give them a try. They work pretty good. I am not sure how long they will last but for 7 bucks if they last a year it is a heck of a deal. I would guess with them all put together it is about a 4'x4' that it fits.

Alan

I use the 4'x6'x3/4" rubber horse stall matt from Tractor Supply
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I have a concrete floor and my spindle probably isn't much over waist height. That's a pretty terrible combination and needless to say I can't work on it for long periods of time.

My lathe is on a factory stand so I always sort of figured it was at some sort of ideal height.

Things that make your back hurt:

Lathe too high, not so much. Lathe too low, a lot. Tool rest and headstock spindle should be at elbow height. Higher or lower depends on how you turn. I hold my chisels more level, so about elbow height is fine for me. If you like to use the dropped handle, then having it a bit higher helps.

Concrete floors are hard on all parts of your body. Good shoes/foot support/insoles are necessary. Anti fatigue mats are great. I found some 7/8 inch thick neoprene ones at a local mat place. They have the horse stall mats and told me they are fine if I weighed about 1500 pounds. Still better than concrete. Wood flooring is good as well.

Posture is the main back killer. If you are not standing up straight, then your back will hurt in very short order. If your lathe is at proper height, then it comes to turning style. If you have a sliding or pivoting headstock, then you have a bowl lathe, you can hold the tools closer to your body and it is easy to move with the tools. If you have a long bed lathe, then you can't turn the same way. You can hold your arms out more, like Stuart Batty does, or there are some other tool techniques you can use, but you have to reach out more with your arms.

Stretching is a good thing!

robo hippy