Thread: Portable SCMS dust hood

Portable SCMS dust hood

Has anyone tried/used one of these:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Cho...-Hood-p113.htm

I happened across one for sale when searching for dust collection stuff on CraigsList (sadly, too far away to be worth the drive), got curious, and started Googling

From the reviews at various sites such as Amazon.com that sell them, they seem to work pretty well.

My situation right now is I have a 10" Makita SCMS on a Ridgid MSUV that gets moved around my basement shop as needed to make room for projects, and occasionally moved outside to the car port for other projects. As a result, I don't have any sort of permanent place to mount normal dust collection hoods, etc. for my SCMS, and I'm getting really really REALLY tired of cleaning up after the beastie

Oddly enough, I've barely been able to find *any* mention of it on several woodworking sites thus far...?

Interested in your thoughts and comments!

TIA,

Monte

Doesn't the Makita have like a chip collection bag made of fabric?

I'd take that off and connect a shop vac to there that turns on every time you use your mitersaw. THen you can use duct tape to extend the collection flaps.

I used to have a Hitachi 10" SCMS and when I connected a shop vac to it it would collect a great majority of the dust and chips.

They sell the outlet switch that will turn on the shop vac automatically every time your mitersaw turns on.

Or some shop vacs have that built into it like the festools.

Monte,

My garage doubles as a workshop so I got one.
    It contains/confines the dust pretty well
    I ran a 4" dust collector hose with a flared fitting to the bottom and leave it on while cutting.
    Now that I have it, would not cut without it

John

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    Doesn't the Makita have like a chip collection bag made of fabric?

I'd take that off and connect a shop vac to there that turns on every time you use your mitersaw. THen you can use duct tape to extend the collection flaps.
    Yes it does have (had) the bag... and even with the shop vac attached via that tiny 1-1/4 port, its about as worthless as teats on a boar hog. I don't think extending the flaps would help much - there isn't a whole lot of useful suction. I have a short line of hose (3-4') going from the shop vac (Ridgid WD1460 - 6 hp 14 gallon) to a Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon bucket, then ~8' of ribbed 1-1/4" line - which just absolutely kills the performance - to the port on the saw. The vac/cyclone setup can keep up with my BT3100 ripping 2x material just fine, using the 2-1/4" port - but that small line doesn't move enough air to begin with. I can literally *hear* the vac choke with that small line on there.

Quote Originally Posted by John R Green View Post
    It contains/confines the dust pretty well
    I was wondering how well it handled the stuff that sprays out the side/front and what not. The pics they have on the website show a front shroud, but none of the videos demonstrate it.

I ran a 4" dust collector hose with a flared fitting to the bottom and leave it on while cutting.
    Funny, I had been contemplating doing something similar - except I was thinking of something along the lines of letting the bigger pieces hit and fall down to the dust collection bin and having a dust port in the side/back of the hood to pull in stray airborne particulate that might otherwise get away. Probably easier to just plumb it in the bottom like you described.

Thanks,

Monte

Shop vac, flex hose on dust port. Broom and dust pan when needed.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have had one for a few months now, never unpacked it until yesterday. Needed it for setting up my miter saw outside on my deck. The hood is huge and and relatively easy to set up and break down, once you've got the hang of it. I put a small trash can under it and it captured almost all of the sawdust in the hood. Can't vouch for using it indoors and how much fine particle spray escapes the hood. But I think for portable use, it's probably the best hood on the market and it's reasonably priced. Folds up for easy transport too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Has anyone tried/used one of these:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Cho...-Hood-p113.htm

I happened across one for sale when searching for dust collection stuff on CraigsList (sadly, too far away to be worth the drive), got curious, and started Googling

From the reviews at various sites such as Amazon.com that sell them, they seem to work pretty well.

My situation right now is I have a 10" Makita SCMS on a Ridgid MSUV that gets moved around my basement shop as needed to make room for projects, and occasionally moved outside to the car port for other projects. As a result, I don't have any sort of permanent place to mount normal dust collection hoods, etc. for my SCMS, and I'm getting really really REALLY tired of cleaning up after the beastie

Oddly enough, I've barely been able to find *any* mention of it on several woodworking sites thus far...?

Interested in your thoughts and comments!

TIA,

Monte
    Here are a few threads with user thoughts. I'm not sure how great it will be at the super fine dust. I would want an air cleaner if you are cutting that much.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...fast+dust+hood

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...fast+dust+hood

$4.00 large plastic storage container on it's side. 4" Toilet Flange through the side (now the bottom). Lockable sliding sleeve attached to the back (the orig. bottom). 2X3 post fits in the sleeve. 45* cutoffs for feet. Attach the DC hose to the toilet flange.
    Works like a charm.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

(4" Toilet Flange) HAVE TO NOTE THAT, THANKS
    I BUILT MINE NOT A BREAK DOWN VERSION. 1.5 HP/4INCH PIPE. I NOTICED THAT IN SHORT-TIMED CUTS IT WORKS GREAT BUT ON LONGER CUTS SAW DUST SPEED CATCHES UP AND OVER TAKES SUCTION. I SUSPECT THE SAME ACTION WITH YOURS. I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING THE POP UP A WHILE BACK, THINK THEY WOULD BE WORTH HAVING. THE SAW YOU USE WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. MY SAW DUST HITS SAW AND SPLASHES DUST ALL OVER ( BIG ISSUE ) AND BAD FLAW IN ITS DESIGN.
    Last edited by raul segura; 11-16-2011 at 1:29 AM.