Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual piece of Walnut

Unusual piece of Walnut

I got this small walnut bowl blank from GotWood. It was coated in a heavy layer of wax when it came so it just looked dark like regular old walnut. This evening I turned it, green, from start to finish without letting it dry, into this small bowl. The walnut is different than any I've ever seen. It has almost a greenish color in the center with a little of the normal walnut color next to that and then some normal light sapwood. It has a couple brown areas running horizontally through the greenish wood too that are near the bottom of the bowl. Kind of pretty but really different compared to any walnut I've ever seen. It's 8" x 3" with 3/16" thick, just has a coat of AO on it so far.

GotWood Walnut bowl 3.jpg GotWood Walnut bowl 1.jpg GotWood Walnut bowl 2.jpg

Wow, that is some interesting wood. Hopefully the color won't change too much over time.

That's beautiful grain! Keep an eye on it, I'd wonder how it might change with a bit of time, but if it would stay like that, wow!

that is different! almost zebrawood or marblewood. Maybe they mislabeled it?? Whatever it is, it grabs the eye

Curt, in coloration that looks more like Turkish walnut to me, but not the really open grain you have there. Interesting!! Very nice bowl, in any event!

Wow, that is an odd hunk of walnut, but really interesting. Hopefully it'll retain the color and not lighten too much.

Nice looking bowl. My guess would be that the green will diminish alot in the coming days. Will be interesting to see what is looks like in a few weeks.

8. Dunnowalnutwood? That is a looker for sure Curt!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Glad you got that piece Curt...I'd have made a pen out of it! Interesting to see if the color changes over time.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a great and interesting piece for sure.

Curt, often times very freshly cut walnut will be completely green inside, then as it dries out and gets exposed to oxygen, it turns brown. I've seen this at least three times where the inside is just like yours, and it slowly turns brown. Pretty cool though.

What a great looking bowl but can't believe its walnut. Whatever it is, its a beauty.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

A few months ago, I got a big load of walnut that I was going to have sawn for lumber. The old sawyer that I contacted about sawing it, told me to store it in my barn for at least a year before sawing it so the wood would develop the rich dark color that I wanted. I have been turning some of it, along the way and the longer I've had it the darker it is.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings.

Thar look a lot like butternut which is a member of the walnut family of trees. I have turned some butternut which looks just like that. I do know how big butternut get thou. The piece I have is smaller than that bowl. Anyway very beautiful grain in the piece. Just my thoughts.

Never would have guessed that one Curt. Neat wood with a pleasing shape. Very nice bowl!