Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best turning related items from Home Depot?

What are the best turning related items from Home Depot?

This is a bit random I know. But my wife's family got a gift card for my last week from Home Depot for my birthday. I'm pretty set on tools not related to turning. And even if I wasn't the call of the vortex is putting those flat work thoughts away for now. The problem is I can't find much at HD that fits my current addiction for turning. Here are the thoughts I've had.

1. Trade/sell the card to buy turning stuff (wouldn't hurt the families feelings)
    2. A grinder, but all HD carries are high speed
    3. Oneway chuck, but the one on sale is for 1-1/4" threads not the 1" on my delta and I prefer the talon over the lever tightened one
    4. Wood and parts to build a turning cart, but my half garage shop is out of room already the lathe lives on my outfeed table/wood kiln
    5. Ridgid bandsaw... meh not impressed with reviews and would prefer a nicer grizzly so the green matches my other griz equipment
    6. A chain saw - I hear I'll be needing this soon
    7. A few gallons of DNA for dipping blanks in

Right now I am torn between trying to trade the card to get a low speed grinder+wolverine jig or a chainsaw and some dna. Are there any hidden gems at HD or on their website I'm missing?
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

2. I would go with the chainsaw..........I think they carry Echo......maybe Husqvarna? Get a big one if you can.........go into the pro line like the husky 359 or up............the rancher 455 is not a pro line saw. Echo makes some good equipment.

If a chainsaw is not in the cards, go with the DNA..........providing you want to stay with the home depot purchase. otherwise, I would see if I could transfer that money to be able to use at a turning related vendor...........much more specialized tools.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Other than a chainsaw, HD would be way down the list of places to shop for turning related items, IMO.

The Ryobi grinder isn't a bad deal. The feet per second of a 6" wheel at 3450rpm is the about the same as an 8" wheel at 1750rpm.

Norton 3x sandpaper is good. They stock it in 20 packs up to 220 grit.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Donut chuck and home made vacuum chuck parts.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Other than maybe a electric chainsaw there is nothing turning wise I would buy at least at the HD around here.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pfeifer View Post
    The Ryobi grinder isn't a bad deal. The feet per second of a 6" wheel at 3450rpm is the about the same as an 8" wheel at 1750rpm.
    Keep in mind, however, that the wheel selection at 6" is somewhat limited. For instance, the CBN wheels from D-Way Tools come in 8". I am not aware of any other size that is available, though there may be sources out there.

Don't be under the assumption that all models of chainsaws are created equal. They are not. Huskvarna saws at the big box stores are very light duty and will never be the same as ones boughten from a dealer. You know the ones that guys use for 20-30 years!You could buy sandpaper, finishes, measuring devices (rulers, compass), fortner bits, 4x4 cedar posts for small forms......
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 11-12-2011 at 11:13 AM.

I would vote for a chainsaw. I know that they don't carry a professional chainsaw but if it is used only to prepare turning blanks, should be good enough.

How much is the gift card for? If it's $50 I would buy some sand paper, wipe on poly and maybe sanding sealer. If its for considerably more you might try to sell it but selling gift cards is hard to get the full amount for. Maybe you could get something nice for the house thereby buttering up the wife so you can spend an even more insane amount at a turning related site!

and there it begins......

shop vac...... you will be surprised where all that sanding dust ends up......

You could always get some cold rolled steel, drill bits, taps, and set screws to make some hollowing tools...

You are not restricted to the stuff in the store or catalog; they do special order. Pick out something you want in a brand name that they carry and see if they can special order it for you. I got Lowes to special order my Delta 46-460 and got to use a 10% off coupon and no financing by paying it off in 6 mothes.