Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the best turning related items from Home Depot?

I seldom go to the big box store (best one here is an Ace Hardware). I get 55 gallon 3 mil trash/shavings bags, easier than the cans, and fold up when not in use. I get jobbers packs of Norton 3X sandpaper which some one mentioned. Titebond 2 glue. Screws and fasteners. Floor grade poly finish, and solvents. Two part epoxy. Gas can, bar oil, and fuel mix. A 25 ft. by 1 inch tape measure or 3, I prefer the ones that lock as they come out, and then you push the button for it to retract. Carpenter pencils. Utility knife. Face shield and/or safety glasses. Splitting maul and plastic wedges (if you ever get the chainsaw pinched when cutting up a log, you will know why you need these, though a sledge and wood wedges will do the same). Speed square, both 6 and 12 inches. You may be able to order a 2 speed or slow speed grinder from them. I have a metal frame rolling cart with metal shelves that I have found to be a 'must have' tool in the shop and for demonstrations. Dust masks. I am sure there are other things there, that is just all that comes to mind for now.

robo hippy

Awe shoot, Robert has it and I didn't even think about the Shop Vac. +1 for buying the biggest, most powerful Shop Vac they sell and make sure it has a "real" filter and not the "barely a paper towel" filter. If you get one of the "big hose" models you can rig up the hose right behind your work and collect most of the dust while sanding on the lathe. Great suggestion!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Awe shoot, Robert has it and I didn't even think about the Shop Vac. +1 for buying the biggest, most powerful Shop Vac they sell and make sure it has a "real" filter and not the "barely a paper towel" filter. If you get one of the "big hose" models you can rig up the hose right behind your work and collect most of the dust while sanding on the lathe. Great suggestion!
    This and the sand paper are two things I never really thought about. I've got a vac now but she isn't up to the task of cleaning up my shavings.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

I just purchased this very shop vac. So far I'm very pleased with it for $99. Its a great balance of suction to noise. It rates 9 suction and 4 noise (their comparison to other models) with 10 being the best suction, and 4 being low on the noise scale. Has 2 1/2 inch hose which is great for smaller tool dust ports
    You mentioned the 14" band saw.... It's junk, the vibration in that thing is horrible. I bought one on clearance, ended up taking it back. Blade wheels weren't balanced, the belt is horrible and causes even more vibration.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/appliances/vacuums-floor-care/ridgid/14-gallon-pro-vac-wd1450-25910.html

They do carry Oneway chucks on their website and occasionally they price them fairly competitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    This and the sand paper are two things I never really thought about. I've got a vac now but she isn't up to the task of cleaning up my shavings.
    I will ditto the reccomendation on the 1450 shop vac for suction vs noise. I have two of them, one fixed that I switch between a disc, spindle, or belt sander, and one I drag around the shop with a dust deputy attached. But if you really get into turning, they won't cut it for the shavings. You need the biggest shovel they carrry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Whitney View Post
    They do carry Oneway chucks on their website and occasionally they price them fairly competitively.
    learn something new! I will have to keep an eye out once and awhile.

I tend to find some things at HD, last Christmas I had a similar dilemma .... stores like HD dont cater to a specialty like turning, but do carry plenty of the accessory items. With my $50 card, I ended up with new batteries for my cordless that had finally lost its life, also ended up with some 36" Jorgy clamps on sale. you can never have too many clamps.

Derek,

I keep Home Depot in business. Seems every time I go to HD it is something turning related. The possibilites are endless, many of which others have mentioned. As I think about my turning a Dremel Tool stands out. Seems I use it for something on a daily basis. If you are a beginner turner and have interest in turning finials or spindles, cheap 2x4's work great for practice. If you keep your shop as clean as I, a really good purchase would be a snow shovel. A dust pan of any size would be futile.

You didn't mention the value of the gift card......................based on all the suggestions I hope it was big.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the vortex.
    I turn, therefore I am

I have a couple of their heavy duty wire storage racks/shelves that work great for drying my rough's.

10. Derek, you'll be better off buying DNA in a 5-gallon can than the individual gallons. You can get a 5-gallon can from Whitt-Davis in Greenbrier for less than $50.00 (before tax). Plenty of other uses for DNA besides turning, as you likely already know.
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 11-13-2011 at 2:40 PM.