Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well I posted a gloat last week, but my new planer arrived dead on delivery.

1. Well I posted a gloat last week, but my new planer arrived dead on delivery.

Ok so I got all excited about a new Shop Fox 15" 3hp planer that I ordered from Amazon. It sure was going to be a lot better than my Craftsman 12 1/2" contractors model. Every time I did a wood working job, and I did so professionally for awhile, the worst part of the whole job was planing the wood. I know I am talking to seasoned woodworkers so I won't bore you with the details. Anyhow, after many sleepless nights awaiting the new arrival, it finally got here on Friday. It was uncrated. It's about 700 pounds in the crate. So the crew moved it downstairs to my shop, and then I was going about the assembly and setup procedures.

To tell you the truth as soon as I saw it I wanted a bigger one. I knew the 20" is what I really wanted. But it was already here, and what the heck 3hp is enough. So to make a long story short, I started the assembly, and cosmolene removal, and decided why don't I install the plug and fire this thing up. I remember saying a prayer in my head that it wouldn't start so I would have an excuse to get the 20. So I hit the green start button, and it went nawwwwwww, and no movement. Hot damn, 20 incher here I come. So I called Amazon and sure enough they wrote up a defective ticket, and am shipping me the 20. It has a 5hp and draws 30 amps. The 15 only drew 20. I have a 30 amp setup down there already.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Hi Bob,

I don't know you and I'm probably missing your sense of humor, but the last sentence in your post appears to indicate your planer was fine and you're swindling Amazon out of shipping charges so you can get the unit you want.

3. I didn't get the impression that Bob did anything wrong. He just got lucky (?) and the thing would not run, giving him a chance to re-order.

I don't get the impression at all the he's swindling anyone. He says the motor didn't run.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

My General International planer showed up dead.. It happens.. In my case, the cap on the motor pinched and cut one of the hot wires when it was built.. As soon as I put the power to it, it cooked..

Here is a picture I took ..

General sent out a new motor and a fella from the store I bought it from helped me change it out..

That is a most fortunate way out of buyers remorse Bob! The only down side is you had to clean that cosmoline before discovering the motor was dead. Glad to hear this worked out in your favor. I'm betting you wont miss the old lunch box at all. I'd love to get a 20" planer, but my Delta is almost 20 years old. Think I can send it back to them?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    Hi Bob,

I don't know you and I'm probably missing your sense of humor, but the last sentence in your post appears to indicate your planer was fine and you're swindling Amazon out of shipping charges so you can get the unit you want.
    Ouch. Are you having a bad day. Thanks for the vote on my integrity. There are those who come for to lie, steal, murder, and destroy and I am not one of them. Honesty is always the best policy. Don't you think Amazon is going to check the machine out when it is returned? Won't they then determine if what I am telling them is the truth or not, and charge my account accordingly?

I can see however how my last comment may have steered you in the wrong direction. It was meant as a gloat, and not an indication of the integrity of my actions. I love Amazon. So if someone is out to protect Amazon, I am on your side, not against you.

In the words of Richard Nixon, "I hope I have made myself perfectly clear". (Please don't misunderstand that one too!)
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Richard M. Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    “I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Richard M. Nixon

Nixon may have said that, but the first time I heard it was from my mother. And, I'm sure it wasn't original with her. I believe HST was president at the time.
    Tricky Dick was too clever by half. However, IMHO he never had an original thought. Well, maybe... "I think we should erase about 18 minutes of that tape."
    Last edited by Gene Howe; 11-13-2011 at 8:35 AM.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post

ROFLMAO I forgot about that quote!!!!!!!!

You'll like 20 inches so much better. I don't have anything but a lunchbox, but I mooch on a buddy's 20 inch DC580 delta with a spiral head on it. There are a lot of things glued together that are between 15 and 20 inches, and it's nice to be able to run them through a planer rather than looking for a wide belt sander, etc.

If you have the amperage to run it (and you covered that already), then by all means..

If Amazon can afford this much free shipping, how wide is their profit margin?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If they can afford this much free shipping ... in the small % of cases where returns and re-ships are required .....

And it DOES cut into their profit margins, but ... it's factored in, as a cost of doing business.

If they can afford this much free shipping ... in the small % of cases where returns and re-ships are required .....

And it DOES cut into their profit margins, but ... it's factored in, as a cost of doing business.
    And I'm pretty sure Amazon pays a LOT less to ship that planer than you or I would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    And I'm pretty sure Amazon pays a LOT less to ship that planer than you or I would pay.
    I also bet they don't pay much if anything if it arrives damaged.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 11-14-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo