Thread: A couple of really cool early 20th century French woodworking videos

A couple of really cool early 20th century French woodworking videos

I ran across these on Gary Roberts' Toolemera site, which linked to a dulcimer maker named Doug Berch, which linked to Kari Hultman's "Village Carpenter" site. The first is from the 30's, and the second is from 1912. They're silent films, and clock in at around 16-18 minutes apiece. I found them fascinating. The first seems to be mostly about cabinetmaking. If you don't know what a dovetail joint is, the interspersed shots of birds on telephone wires and cabinet drawers will help you out . The second deals with chair making. Some dudes with serious skills in both machine and hand tools, including carving tools, here. The guy on the bandsaw is just ridiculous. I was amazed that they were cutting mortises & tenons in *rough stock*! Check it out, it's really cool

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societe/education-et-enseignement/video/VDD10045525/l-ebenisterie.fr.html

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societe/education-et-enseignement/video/VDD10045545/la-fabrication-d-un-siege-a-l-ecole-boulle.fr.html

Thank you! Both videos were interesting but I couldn't help but shiver when I watched the guy used the shaper/router in the chair video. I'm certain there were some serious blood stains around that machine!

Regards,

Ron

Watched the first one.. Very cool video.. Amazing how to the older fella, the whole process was so " matter of fact " .. Like .. yeah okay, no problem..

I gotta get a white overcoat for drawing my plans.. .. I think its what has been missing..

The subtitles are making me realize how much French I've forgotten since school!

The wooden jointer planes the master is using to shoot the long edges in the first video are pretty cool. I'm starting to wish I had a jointer that long!

Watched the chair video.. I agree on the shaper process.. yikes..

Just starting to watch the chair video - I really like the vise used for cutting the tenons on the curved pieces, and the long, sideways stair-saw like saw with almost like two plane handles, for cutting the cheeks . . .

Blog Entries
    Those are fun videos.

I watched one on printing that also did a bit of book binding. The wooden screw on one of the book vises will make your keyboard wet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I also thought the chair video was fascinating. Made me wonder what about the purpose of the video. It didn't seem detailed enough to be a training video. Could it have been a promo for a chair making school? Probably the French text would provide clues. Any francophiles care to comment?

I will have a look at them. I don't think they are training videos, but just a documentary on the Boulle school in Paris.

Yes, these are documentaries about the school, not training films. Maybe to encourage parents to enroll their kids there?

On same site some other trades covered as well, like typesetting and bookbinding (if you've ever seen old "bookbinder's plow" planes advertised for sale, here one in action)
    http://www.ina.fr/art-et-culture/lit...-paris.fr.html

wood sculpture
    http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societ...r-bois.fr.html

In the beginning of the first video, when the logs are passing by on the barge (I guess?), I thought that they were just pretty normal-size pieces. Then I saw that horse pass by...

Ecole Boulle is an extremely difficult school to get into even if you are French. Its major purpose is to retain the ancient skills and therefore the ability to maintain, restore, and duplicate France's artistic and cultural treasures. Patrick Edwards is the only American that I have ever heard of who was accepted into any of their training programs and if you aren't completely fluent in French you have no hope of acceptance. If you want to see some outstanding inlay /intarsia type work Google him and his website.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Cool, indeed. thanks for posting