Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire stained Walnut platter

Wire stained Walnut platter

This platter is among the first of several finished pieces from a large Walnut score back in Feb of this year. The huge Section of log it came out of had several strands of barbed wire buried deep within. There was a pretty dark purple stain all around the wire, which I hoped would retain the color throughout turning and finishing. Afraid the purple was black once the turning was done but still seems to add some interest to the piece. 15.5X2.5 or so and finished with multiple coats of Formby’s tung oil, buffed and Ren wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's beautiful! You did a great job with it, and a great story to boot!

That's beautiful wood and a lovely form!

Gorgeous bowl/platter. The walnut is spectacular and the finish is top notch.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Wow Bill, that's a beauty. Pretty amazing that the corrosion would reach that far into the wood. It really gives it an interesting look.

Nice work, Bill. Sure is hard to beat Walnut. I don't like finding wire but don't mind finding lead, it doesn't dull the chain as badly. Your edge treatment is well done.

7. That is a real beauty, Bill! I think you did a superb job on the form and finish..........share with us if you will your technique using the Formby's .........I have a can, but have not used any yet..........this platter is a looker for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My wife really likes the platter. Great job on this one.

Yea.. that came out really nice - im pretty sure anything made form walnut is just awsume
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

You did a great job on some attractive wood. It shows you did well getting the blank prepared as well.

I really like the graceful form of this platter and the walnut just adds to the overall beauty, very well done, Bill.

Bill, very appealing form on this one, and the wood is beautiful! Excellent work, as always.

Altho walnut is not "in style" much right now, I've always loved it. What could be prettier than this?

Great platter. Can't figure out if the stain adds or subtracts from the piece. It appears centered which I think is a definite plus! I remember thinking how awesome those couple of trailerloads of big walnut looked! I have a feeling I am going to be feeling that same way again fairly frequently. Bring them on!

That platter is perfect. I love that stain; it really speaks to me. I'll have to try that Formby's. Is that pure tung oil or the tung oil 'finish'?