Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheard in the Shop

Overheard in the Shop

Feel free to add your funnies from the workplace, mine just happens to be "the shop".

We started at 5:30 this a.m. Overhead this about 8 or so.

"This is just a smidgen too long, trim it a frog's hair."

"Frogs don't have hair . . . do they?" (new kid on the block)

"Well, yeah, frogs have hair. Frog's hair is just a little finer than a lizard's hair." (me)

"Lizards don't have hair . . . do they?"

"Of course frogs have hair. How do you think we know how much to trim when Mike tells us to trim something a frog's hair?" (someone passing through the area)

Poor girl is spending her break looking for a frog.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Is this paid help Belinda?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

While we are on the subject of paid help "The sign said NO HELP WANTED- He applied and got the job!
    Banner seen at a retirement party "Because you have given so much to the Company, You have nothing left that we want"

Yes, Ken, paid help. The whole thing started with her calling out measurements in decimals and Mike telling her she had to give them in fractions, and that she needed to start thinking in fractions, and just went downhill from there into a shop debate over the width of a frog's hair. And it's just Monday . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Not in my shop, but it was on American Hotrod (Boyd Coddington). The shop manager doesn't like dealing with newbies, so he gets them to do stupid stuff that keeps them out of his hair. After he had some new kid look for a left-handed door handle in the junk pile, he finally sent him out to spray paint a piece. He handed the kid a rattle can and told him when it stopped rattling it was properly mixed and ready for use. God knows how long that kid stood out there shaking that can waiting for it to stop rattling.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dale, the new girl and I both work with the CNC and laser engraver. We work in decimals because that's the way the software we use works.

Dan, we normally don't have this going on - mainly because I think it is a waste of time. She really isn't "new", she's been working with us for a couple of months. It was just so funny that she wasn't sure if frogs have hair that I couldn't help but let it go. The guy who was telling her she needs to work in fractions is also the guy that measures to a fat 16th (which drives me crazy).

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Working alone, a fat 16th is fine... the moment someone else has to repeat it, all bets are off.

Maybe you should tell her the width of a chicken's tooth, or tell her about the plight of the Nauga (haugahyde has to come from somewhere, right? And Naugas are so small they can only get a 1/8" wide strip (or less) from each Nauga back, so they have to kill a lot of Naugas to make a single car seat).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

On the fire dept., we would have the probies check the brake fluid (air brakes), or clean the spark plugs on the diesel motor. Now, back in the dark ages, when I started, checking the spark plugs entailed checking 24 plugs (V12..2 per cyl.).

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Not in my shop, but it was on American Hotrod (Boyd Coddington). The shop manager doesn't like dealing with newbies, so he gets them to do stupid stuff that keeps them out of his hair. After he had some new kid look for a left-handed door handle in the junk pile, he finally sent him out to spray paint a piece. He handed the kid a rattle can and told him when it stopped rattling it was properly mixed and ready for use. God knows how long that kid stood out there shaking that can waiting for it to stop rattling.
    believe it or not , this instructions are /or was on some paint cans [ do not ask how many years ago ]

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Of course every cubicle has a picture of a guy with a part and a big hammer saying: "but CATIA says it fits!" (CATIA is a cad program)
    Mike
    CATIA ALWAYS says it fits. By the way, we are currently prototyping parts designed in CATIA.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 11-14-2011 at 4:15 PM.

Bella Terra

When asked how he was, my dad would reply "I'm fine as frog's hairs".
    If he was having a really good day the response would be " I'm fine as a frog's hair split 24 ways".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    When asked how he was, my dad would reply "I'm fine as frog's hairs".
    If he was having a really good day the response would be " I'm fine as a frog's hair split 24 ways".
    Out of curiosity, where did your dad grow up? My SO is the only other person I've heard say "fine as a frog hair". For him a really good day is "fine as a frog's hair split 4 ways".

Bella Terra

Born in MO. Grew up in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Out of curiosity, where did your dad grow up? My SO is the only other person I've heard say "fine as a frog hair". For him a really good day is "fine as a frog's hair split 4 ways".
    I've not heard the "split # ways" before, but I clearly recall a time in the early 80's when my dad, brother and I were all headed to Longhorn Caverns and stopped for gas at a Diamond Shamrock in Lampassas, TX. The man in front of my father paid, and the cashier said, "How you doin', Earl?" to which Earl replied, "Fine....fine as a frog's hair". He pronounced 'frog' with a long O sound, like "frOHg". Never heard the phrase before or after, so I'm quite amused at these stories...

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

"Go to the tool trailer, and bring a box of holes, and a METRIC Cresent wrench".

"Move it a blonde hair to the left."
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-17-2011 at 8:23 PM.