Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

14 Nov 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope each of you are well and taking time to be in the shop as it is the season to be in there making things for gifts because December is quickly approaching. The LOML has already given me a list of some things to be made and I think they will be fun.

I've seen some of the nice work that several of you have done recently and I appreciate you sharing those pics as I do enjoy looking at what other people make and to see their ideas and handy work. Thank you.

Well, that's it for me for this week, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday I worked on a commission (a settle), milling the stock for the raised panels that form the back and the lower front. Managed to find some boards with grain at right angles to the board (not strictly quarter sawn, but result the same) so that there will be nice ray fleck in the finished panels.

Saturday night went to a theme evening (soup, traditional local dish of chestnuts and boudins, cheese and desert) at a local restaurant with some friends, about 50 people in all, food was very good, wine was plentiful too, so not a lot done on sunday !

Today the roofers arrived to replace the tiles on one side of our house roof. The job was done about 3 years ago, but after much legal battling (by our roofer with the tile maker), the arbitration service has ruled that we and our roofer are correct, the tiles are defective and must be replaced at the makers expense. I shudder to think what it will cost him, the roof is huge - 100ft long by 25ft eaves to ridge and no-one is especially motivated to keep the costs down.

Being retired, I can work on the gifts during the week....................
    David in Périgord Vert

Lots of woodworking here. Saturday I spent most of the day working on a couple charity projects with other members of my club. We finished construction a cherry blanket chest we are building for an auction benefiting UofM's Congenital Heart Center and some shelves for a local daycare. In the evening we took my daughter out to dinner at her favorite place, (a Japanese steak house, to celebrate her first graded report card which was all-A's (4th grade is the first time letter grades are given in our school district.)

Sunday I spent the day working on my parents' dining table, finishing some apron detail, machining stock for the legs and laying out the joinery--most of it anyway.

Blog Entries
    A little bit of shop time Sat. doing a couple of panel glue-ups and fine tuning my dovetail jig. Then to Woodcraft to pick up my saw blade that was sharpened and on to the Galleria for some shopping. Ate some terrible TexMex afterwards. Church and Texans football on Sunday and then just loafed.

Not much WWing got done this weekend. Finally finished the to do list for fixing the vehicles on Saturday. Now back to waiting for the next thing to break. Spent Sunday winterizing. Putting away summer things and getting out the (rest of the) winter stuff. Definately looking forward to some shop time.

I tried my hand at double bevel marquetry. It was my first attempt at the technique, so I went with a simple image and used it as a basis to help teach myself what works and what doesn't. It went pretty well, though I'm sure further attempts will be a bit cleaner. The panel is around 12 x 18". I used cold press veneer glue and my vacuum press. It has a coat of shellac on it - probably more finishing to come. This will likely be one panel for a backgammon case/board - "briefcase." I'm excited about doing more marquetry.

clover panel 1.jpg

Finished painting all my fluorescent light fixtures. Next step is to get them all wired with new ballasts, sockets, and plugs.

I was supposed to be out of town for the weekend to attend a veterans day service in San Antonio, and take my wife to dinner on the riverwalk... Work got in the way by having me pull a 14 hour day on Thursday when a server decided that it wanted to go bad on me, and Dell shipped dud parts to fix it... Such is life in the IT world. So instead, we went to Buca Di Beppo in Houston...

I spent very little shop time this weekend. I got the screw counter sinks in the book case filled, and sanded smooth, 3 coats of primer on the entire book case, and 1 coat on half of it, Since it is wall mounted, I need to flip it over and do the other side... Doing this the old fashioned way, by brush... I am sanding between coats as well so it is as nice and slick as possible...

I need to get the french cleat cut, and the thing flipped over tonight so I can finish that second side, and get ready to mount it after all the paint cures... I also need to start on cutting the drawer liner matting so that I can hit that with some 3M Super 77 and stick it down. This should provide a layer of protection between the caginet, and the books / magazines.

My lovely wife noticed that the book case was open, no doors to keep the dust out, and mentioned that my books and such will get all dusty. I was a bit amazed at the observation honestly. It never occoured to me that dusty woodworking books and magazines could be a problem... She did work / study at the University library, I guess that is where that came from...

I also got some time to sand down the dowels that were used to peg my Christmas tree stand together. So now the stand is ready for paint, but alas, no paint... I have some flat chocolate brown that my wife uses for flower pots (She hates the terra cotta planter look). Might have to swipe some of that. I just need something to protect the wood, doesn't have to be pretty, the whole thing will live under a tree skirt anyway...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 11-14-2011 at 1:26 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Finished painting all my fluorescent light fixtures. Next step is to get them all wired with new ballasts, sockets, and plugs.
    You are converting from T12 to T8 right?

What all is involved in that conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by David Keast View Post
    Saturday I worked on a commission (a settle), milling the stock for the raised panels that form the back and the lower front. Managed to find some boards with grain at right angles to the board (not strictly quarter sawn, but result the same) so that there will be nice ray fleck in the finished panels.

Saturday night went to a theme evening (soup, traditional local dish of chestnuts and boudins, cheese and desert) at a local restaurant with some friends, about 50 people in all, food was very good, wine was plentiful too, so not a lot done on sunday !

Today the roofers arrived to replace the tiles on one side of our house roof. The job was done about 3 years ago, but after much legal battling (by our roofer with the tile maker), the arbitration service has ruled that we and our roofer are correct, the tiles are defective and must be replaced at the makers expense. I shudder to think what it will cost him, the roof is huge - 100ft long by 25ft eaves to ridge and no-one is especially motivated to keep the costs down.

Being retired, I can work on the gifts during the week....................
    David,

Is a Boudin in France the same as it is in Louisiana? A spicy rice / meat mixture sausage. That is great stuff...

Yep. Bought a contractor pack of 8 4 blub t8 ballasts from the Borg and 100 or so sockets from some guy off Ebay (turns out he was just down the road a few dozen miles). Got the fixtures locally off CL. Ordered some hangers off of Amazon, 8 25 foot extension cords from the Borg. After I disassembled the fixtures, washed them, knocked the rusty patches back with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder and sprayed them with Rust-o-ileum white enamel they look pretty good. once they are hanging 10 feet off the ground (where you can't see the couple of paint runs, they'll look even better. The weekend after I get all eight fixtures wired and tested, I'll have them deliver a scissor lift and I'll run my ceiling circuits and get these bad boys mounted. Hoping to have all this done before Thanksgiving.

Last night I popped one of the covers (contains the diffuser panel) onto one of the newly painted fixtures and it looked pretty darn good. Think I'm going to skip painting those covers, not sure their look would improve that much and definitely not sure itr would be worth the effort. I also need to pick up a couple of sheets of diffuser panel to repair a couple of the covers, but I may just use some packing tape to "fix" the broken ones for the short term and replace those panels post install.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    You are converting from T12 to T8 right?

What all is involved in that conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    David,

Is a Boudin in France the same as it is in Louisiana? A spicy rice / meat mixture sausage. That is great stuff...
    I guess the origins are the same, but no, not quite - the Louisiana recipe has clearly evolved to include things not available in 17th C France, rice for example. A french boudin is a blood sausage, a mix of pig blood and chopped fat often with added onion. Similar to the "black pudding" of northern England.
    David in Périgord Vert

I kkep saying this, but I spent the weekend racing the weather. I am thinking my garage time is running out here in Chicago, and then I get another reasonable couple of days (50's). I had been wanting to use up some thin stock that I have had for a number of years. A few year back I messed around with a dovetailed compound angle silverware tray. It turned out OK and I have wanted to make more, so, 2 weekends ago was stock prep and this past weekend was cuttng in all the dovetails and assembly. In the pic below I had two finished on Saturday and managed to finish another on Sunday.

I had parts cut for four (3 Cherry and 1 Walnut) but screwed up one cut for the dado for the center handle pattern. I'll have to remake, if weather allows. The three that I did manage to complete go a coat of clear Shellac and a hand rubbed wax top coat. Sorry no pic's with the finish.

My daughter was home from Ohio State so my son went out and bought some Bourbon barrel aged beers for Saturday night dinner. I can get used to that stuff.

I am not near as productive as some of you.
    Spent Sat. finishing moving my wife's sister. There was more stuff left after the first day than everyone thought. We brought an extra truck and filled it full too.

Sun finished putting together a Unisaw I bought a couple of weeks ago at a school auction. It needed new belts and bearings for the motor and arbor. It will pass the penny test now. I'm pretty stoked to have a cabinent saw!
    Now I need to figure out what to do for a fence. It came with a long rail for a unifence but the fence is gone. I am really leaning at getting an Incra TS-LS.

Gathered tools for Cub Scouts on Mon to talk about different tools and how to use them safely. We built tool boxes. The boys got a chance to measure, mark, saw, hammer, and screw the parts together. I precut most of the parts and let them mark and cut the dowel handle. With all of the hammering nails we were the loudest group!

Don

Finished putting a wood floor down in the shop. Put PT 2x4's face down 24 on center and hard foam insultation between. 3mil plastic then topped with T&G OSB. 2 coats of deck paint and done.