Thread: Onieda Mini-Gorilla

Onieda Mini-Gorilla

Hi,

I am seriuosly considering an Onieda Mini-Gorilla for use in a dedicated wood lathe room. It will be used for primarily sanding dust and floor sweep collection. It will be located no more than 6' from either lathe, each lathe on it's own blast gate. Sucking from on lathe at a time. I turn just about any thing. Bowls, spdles, boxes, etc.

Lathe Type: Powermatic 3520B & Delta 46/460

I have just a few questions:

1) Opinions on the Mini Gorilla?
    2) Has anyone had experience with wall mounting this unit? I would buy the Onieda bracket.
    3) Lathe collection hood suggestions? I will need one for each lathe.

I appeciate your input in advance!

Thank you, Glenn

One more try! Any advice wood be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Hi Glen, I have a few thoughts:
    1) Oneida makes a good product. I would definitely call them and let them know what you have planned & see what they recommend.
    2) I've helped a friend with his larger Oneida and the wall bracket was not a problem. There is not a lot of shaking when the unit is on (impellers are balanced).
    3) I'd definitely add a floor sweep; I haven't heard of any lathe hood that's going to collect 100% of the chips for all situations. You will want a different shape for spindles (more wrap-around) than when you're making bowls. Placement is key. Keep in mind that you'll need to be repositioning the hood a lot, especially with long spindle work. Google "lathe hood", there are a lot of good DIY options to consider. I'd worry about the options that place the hood on it's own stand (tipping into the workpiece when spinning, etc.).

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, you might also try asking this question in the turning section of this forum...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Hi Glen, I have a few thoughts:
    1) Oneida makes a good product. I would definitely call them and let them know what you have planned & see what they recommend.
    2) I've helped a friend with his larger Oneida and the wall bracket was not a problem. There is not a lot of shaking when the unit is on (impellers are balanced).
    3) I'd definitely add a floor sweep; I haven't heard of any lathe hood that's going to collect 100% of the chips for all situations. You will want a different shape for spindles (more wrap-around) than when you're making bowls. Placement is key. Keep in mind that you'll need to be repositioning the hood a lot, especially with long spindle work. Google "lathe hood", there are a lot of good DIY options to consider. I'd worry about the options that place the hood on it's own stand (tipping into the workpiece when spinning, etc.).
    Hi Glen,

I agree with Greg P about calling Oneida and describing your equipment and the tool layout to them. They are very good at helping to size the equipment for the customer. I have one of their systems, They make quality products and they are easy people to work with.

Also agree its useful to have a floor sweep.

It seems to me that sanding at a lathe is one of the harder tasks for a dust collector to deal with. You might need a larger unit than a mini dust gorilla.

PHM

Hi Glenn,

I have the Mini-Gorilla (HEPA filter), but with the mobile base, not the wall bracket. I do not have a lathe, so I can't speak to that, but I have been very happy with it.
    My impressions:
    - Separation: excellent - it really seems to measure up to the separation that they tout on their website.
    I check the filter for build-up (knock it on the ground, then 40psi) every time I empty the barrel and I rarely see much of anything.
    - Collection: great, except tablesaw - and that is just because I haven't set-up any overhead collection yet.
    I have a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander and it does a phenomenal job picking up dust from that (although I don't have a Dylos to know for sure).
    - Drum capacity: for everything except the planer and jointer, it is fine. However, the planer can fill the drum (17 gallon) quickly.
    Sometimes I think I need a Thien pre-separator.

To all who replied with suggestions, comments, etc, I thank you. I'll give Onieda a call.

Thanks, Glenn

Oneida Mini Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    Hi Glenn,

I have the Mini-Gorilla (HEPA filter), but with the mobile base, not the wall bracket. I do not have a lathe, so I can't speak to that, but I have been very happy with it.
    My impressions:
    - Separation: excellent - it really seems to measure up to the separation that they tout on their website.
    I check the filter for build-up (knock it on the ground, then 40psi) every time I empty the barrel and I rarely see much of anything.
    - Collection: great, except tablesaw - and that is just because I haven't set-up any overhead collection yet.
    I have a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander and it does a phenomenal job picking up dust from that (although I don't have a Dylos to know for sure).
    - Drum capacity: for everything except the planer and jointer, it is fine. However, the planer can fill the drum (17 gallon) quickly.
    Sometimes I think I need a Thien pre-separator.
    How are you still liking your Mini Gorilla. I have read and read and read and read about dust collection and for a small one man shop like mine I think the portable is the way to go.
    Thx
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Howorka View Post
    How are you still liking your Mini Gorilla. I have read and read and read and read about dust collection and for a small one man shop like mine I think the portable is the way to go.
    Thx
    Gary
    Gary, I've had the mini gorilla for a few years and am quite satisfied. I work in a small shop area (two car garage). The portable option works well for me. I use it primarily with a table saw, miter saw, band saw and for sanding on the lathe. The one thing I would advise is to be religious about maintaining the filter for optimum performance. I don't blow it down at the end of each shop day, but close to that. The noise level is important to me. The mini gorilla comes in at about 76 db. Not too bad, but quiter would be better for my taste. The Mini Gorilla uses a 5" inlet and hose. You will probably want their 5"x4" reducer to connect to your machines. Oneida also makes the Dust Gorilla Portable. I do not have any personal experice with it, but it spec's a little quieter and looks like it has better performance. Unfortunately it is at almost twice the cost. You will find the folks at Oneida to be very helpful and friendly to deal with. I would not hesitate to give them a call to discuss your needs. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by Larry Whitlow; 12-15-2012 at 4:07 PM. Reason: Spelling -

Glenn,

No experience with the Mini Gorilla, but I do have a 5HP Super Gorilla. Mine is installed using their wall bracket and the Cyclone did have some rocking motion if I would push on it. Not knowing if that would effect normal operation I decided to provide additional support up to via the motor mount. Pretty simple, 1/2" threaded rod, a 2x4 screwed into the studs and VOILA a rock solid Super Gorilla!

(Perhaps I should start my own thread showing this modification as I see the question about Oneida's wall mount come up fairly often...)

like the additional support modification on cyclone DC, will have to add this.