Thread: Working with Plastic to create dust fittings for power tools?

Working with Plastic to create dust fittings for power tools?

About 40 years ago, I took a plastics class where we made some little pieces using acrylic, and polyester resin, but what I'm interested in is finding a little knowledge about what plastics to use and techniques to create dust fittings for power tools, for example, a fitting to attach to my Makita skill saw dust chute which would fit to my vac hose. Use about a 1 1/4" hose to connect to my ROS and belt sander, and have one router rigged up to use it, works so good! Now I'd like to have dust fittings on all my power tools.

I think most of the commercial DC fittings that are plastic are made of ABS.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    I think most of the commercial DC fittings that are plastic are made of ABS.
    Yes, most if not all the black ones are ABS. There are some clear ones and white ones on the market. I don't believe they are ABS (they feel different to the touch) but I don't do materials, so I haven't a clue what they are.

Ive been using PVC. It heats bends and stretches well with torch or heater and is forgiving with a little glue. I take my time heating this stuff (out side) and if it dos not work out, not much of a loss. I discovered some good paint for plastics that will dress it up to.
    Other wise I think its nice to keep the materials simple if they work. Aquarium material/glue would be nice to but $$.

I've also made a few fittings out of PVC pipe, heating and stretching to shape. I'd be interested in finding a way to mold more complicated shapes, though.

I'm with Damion, I would love to find information on how to mold plastics at home. I have a lot of things I could use this for and keep meaning to pick up and start researching but I have too many projects to even remember to do the research.

I found some good tips and information here.
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/pvc.cfm