Thread: Purchasing an Air Compressor ???

Purchasing an Air Compressor ???

Off to buy and Air Compressor today. I was looking at the IR 60 Gal at TSC that everyone recommends then I go into lowes and they have their 60 Gal (7hp peak) on clearance for 398.00. They also have a 30 Gal Kobalt and the salesman told me they have a 60 Gal Kobalt in the back. Looks like they are replaceing the CH compressors with Kobalts.

Here is the question. The CH at 398.00 is a great price Plus I get 10% discount bringing the price down to 358.00 . I will be using the compressor for just nailers and blowing down the shop. Is the IR worth the extra bucks (and the hour drive to pick up) over this compressor.

BTW I have a pancake compressor now and the reason I am buying a new one with greater capacity is that it cycles on and off without warning at times scaring the you know what out of me.

Compressor thought

Greg for just nailing and blowing off sawdust, you don't need that big of a unit. Remember you'll have to lug it around including up stairs. CFM is the prime number. The better pancakes are about 2.6 CFM @ 90. which is more than enough for your needs. I just bought a PC pancake and 2 PC nailers. I too don't like the noise when it cycles but it very seldom does. I am very new to this but for smaller jobs I don't even plug in the cord and rely on the air in the tank as shown on the dial. Then, later. I can control WHEN its going to cycle and NOT be surprised by the noise when I'm working. Guys correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be) but that's what I 'm doing. I'll read your replies.
    Jerry

Look at the way the IR is constructed vs the CH when you are in the store, especially the way everything is hooked up. The IR is much more servicable, as Dennis, I believe, found out last year. IMHO, the IR is a better machine if you can swing it. I'm very pleased with mine.

And Jerry, none of the machines he is looking at are "lugable"...they weigh about 300 lbs each! (And run on 240v)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,
    I guess I will take the drive over to check it out. The new Kobalt compressor that Lowes is carring looks considerably better built than the CH. Maybe that is why Lowes is dropping them for their own brand name.

BTW I talked to Alan on the phone yesterday about my workbench dilema. He not only convincened me of the tail vice but also caused me a few late hours in the shop resawing my slab and glueing it back.

Good conversation. Nice all around guy

Jerry,
    Thanks for the input but I am looking for a stationary compressor. I will keep the pancake job site work.

GregH

Yea, Alan's a sharp fellow...knows his stuff.

Enjoy your visit to TSC...another one of those places that are somewhat dangerious to enter with a credit card in your pocket!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recently opted for the 5hp IR 2two stage 15.1 CFM At 175 PSI, 230 Volt Type 30. Very pleased with it. Northen Tool has them, as does Tractor Supply, and Sears. I used to own a Quincy years back. I would considereither of thse brands 1st.

Man, Quincy is something you only find in commercial shops. Those things are nice. And considerably quieter that what you find these days at home or tractor stores.

IMO vertical tank 60+ gallon tank is the thing to get, but check the specs SCFM gets important while running air tools etc... Once you have a big compressor, you'll find things to do with it.

Check out my 1967 compressor, it is really massive and pretty darn quiet. I had to replace the tank, and now I wish I had a vertical tank. Horizontal worked better under the stairs at my last shop. I plumbed both the basement shop, and the garage off of this compressor.

Bill,

You're right the Quincy was nice & quiet! I have my compressor upstairs and ran black pipe to my shop in the basement. So I can barly here it run inside, and you really can't hear it outside either. It has synthetic oil so It runs all year even in the cold.

The IR is a great compressor. I've had mine about 2 years now. But don't get rid of that pancake compressor when you get your new one. You'll need it for installing trim and other jobsite tasks. I've been looking at getting a cheap pancake compressor for the occasional times I need air outside the shop.

Greg,

This is the Quincy I have.

Quincy "Blue"

The one they ship is in the traditional Quincy blue color. I think the main reason they may be quiter is the low rpm. This one pumps at only 990 rpm. The pump on this one was voted best by Wood magazine. That was sometime ago though! All that being said you can't go wrong withn an IRC and they are considerably less money I think.

John

I picked up a 5hp./7 peak (peak of what I wonder) 80 gal. 2 stage CH today. I was looking at the IR at Tractor Supply, but a friend who owns the IR isn't happy with his purchase. The pump needs rebuilt after using it to construct and spray 3 or 4 kitchen worth of cabinets and it won't keep up with a 13 CFM HVLP gun at 40 PSI. It's probably a fluke, but the CH has a 3 yr. warranty and is made in the US, all iron cyl., 100% duty cycle, etc. It's a bit of an upgrade from my 26 year old craftsman 2 hp. 12 gallon! If I get 13 yrs. out of this one I'll be happy.

Like Jerry, I have the PC Pancake and 3 gun deal. Great nail guns and nice little compressor. It is noisy, that is a given for an oiless and it will more than run the those guns, however, for blowing off dusty tools etc, it empties very quickly and will basically run the entire time you are blowing off dust etc. That is one drawback. I have never used it for filling up car tires and inflation work yet, don't know how well it will do on that. I can see why someone would want more capacity than a pancake has. While the compressors with an oil tank will be quieter, they still cycle without warning, only much further between cycles. That is a good price on a 60 Ga. If you think yah need it go for it, you will always have the Pancake for mobility in side your house, nailing molding etc. For me the pancake deal allowed me to get 3 great guns and a nice little compressor overall for 300.00 For someone just starting out with nailers, can't be beat.
    Corey

I have the 60 gallon CH you mentioned. I bought it because it was a little less than the price you mentioned at Lowes. The on/off switch broke, but otherwise it's been great for the past year and a half. I'm not using the switch on it anyway as I've hooked it up to a 3-way switch so I can switch it on from the basement or the garage. I'll readily admit that it's not the most heavy duty unit available and would rather have an IR. But, for $350, it's hard to beat. I haven't experienced any leakage. I'll shoot brads in the shop for months without ever turning it on. So far, it's been money well saved.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Well....let's just say that I went the CH route.....once......it lasted all of 1 day and spent 2 weeks trying to get CH support and warranty service for it. It leaked at the pressure switch and I finally found a local warranty service rep and he suggested that I get an IR compressor. I belive his words were: I fix over 100 CH compressors every year...many of them are homeowner types and I average 1(one) IR compressor repair in any given year.

The IR was by far better built, no plastic hoses, pipes or fittings and the compressor pump was 100 times better built on the IR when compared to the CH compressor. Noise levels? The IR was super quiet when compared to the CH compressor. Is it worth a little more money for piece of mind, quieter running and longer service life? You Betcha!!!!!!

BTW, CH required me to take my compressor to the closest warranty service center for repairs and the repair would take about 2 weeks!!!!

IR warranty service would have came to my house for $25 and fixed my compressor on the spot....that day........!!! Need I say more?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.