Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving The Look Of OSB??

Improving The Look Of OSB??

I would like to install a ceiling in my garage shop. I would like to use a wood product like 1/4" underlayment, as it is light weight, for easier installation. I plan to paint it white. 1/4" OSB runs about $3 a sheet less than underlayment, butI don't care for the look of OSB. Any ideas on a paint, paint additive or technique that would help hide the OSB wafers?

John

First you need to check your building codes. If this is an attached garage, most likely you are going to have to use sheetrock, and probably 5/8" at that. Or something else that is fire rated. OSB would not fulfill the requirements. That said, I think the OSB with 2 coats of primer on it looks fine in my detached shop. Not as rough as some texture techniques I've seen used in a house. Only problem I had is some of the top layers want to release when they get wet (latex primer). Other than that, I'm happy with the look. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

My garage is detached. Would a first coat of oil based primer be better? Maybe to prevent the edges of the wafers from curling from the water in latex paint? Maybe using some type of texture roller for the second coat?

John

Drywall would be so much better and easier in the long run. If its the sanding mess you want to avoid then use some 1/4 luan plywood. OSB will b e ugly forever.

Its hard to make OSB look good. I just put some on my floor and hit it with 2 coats of deck paint and its still ugly but was the most cost effective. If the budget was a bit larger I would have used T&G plywood.

If you garage is detached used 3/8 sheet rock. You can put it in yourself by using a cleat on one end and the lift into position. Get a drywall bit from your drill and it will set the screws easy. I did my ceiling by myself and its cheaper than luan. Luan ran around 13 a sheet and the rock around 7 a sheet.

1/4" is going to sag like there's no tomorrow.

Painted OSB doesn't look too bad. Prime good, then paint. Some flakes will come up--just paint them back down. After almost 8 years mine still looks pretty good other than that in places I've repainted due to remodeling make it clear the white paint has yellowed a fair bit.

If you want a fast, easy ceiling, look at liner panel sold for pole barns. I have it in my shop and I'm seriously considering installing it over the 20 year old drywall in my garage that's cracked at every tape joint.

I used OSB on both the walls and ceiling in my shop. The OSB that has been painted looks good, and I used latex paint on mine. I had very little issues with the layers releasing at all. Sometime over the winter I plan to paint the ceiling in the main shop area.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I would be less concerned with the looks, and more concerned with flammability. Once all that resin & wood chips gets going, it is REALLY hard to put it out. I just burned a whole bunch scraps & pieces we tore off of my roof ... IT BURNS HOT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    1/4" is going to sag like there's no tomorrow.
    I have to agree with that!
    Carpe Lignum

OSB also weighs a ton so you need to keep that in mind if you want to put it up alone.

You can get a "high build" primer (you'll need to go to a real paint store, I got my at the Sherwyn Williams dealer). The borgs don't carry it.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

1/4" luan (what I referred to as underlayment) is lighter and stiffer than OSB, so I think that's what I will use. $3+ a sheet isn't going to break the bank. I realize there is the risk of sag, but I want something that I can install myself, if rounding up help gets to be a problem. Plus my shop is full, and I will be working around all of my stuff. The main reason for the ceiling will be for adding insulation and to reflect the light, more than for looks.

John

I made a stand to hold one end of the 7/16" OSB that I used on the ceiling while I held the other end and drove some screws. I can't imagine that anything 4'x8' isn't going to require something to help hold it in place, but 1/4" will be lighter.

Blog Entries
    I just hit mine with 2 coats of Behr Premium Plus in satin and it looks great but they were the walls. White in my shop and very light green in the laundry room. Satin allows dust to be removed easier than flat paint or just using primer. Using a quality paint is worth it.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-17-2011 at 10:33 PM.

If you have to hang it by yourself, cut the 1/4" into 4' squares. Hide the joints and reinforce them by nailing a 1"x1/4" lattice strip over them in a 4' x 4' grid. I have seen this done many times, even with masonite.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).