Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving The Look Of OSB??

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    T1/4" luan (what I referred to as underlayment) is lighter and stiffer than OSB, so I think that's what I will use. $3+ a sheet isn't going to break the bank. I realize there is the risk of sag, but I want something that I can install myself, if rounding up help gets to be a problem. Plus my shop is full, and I will be working around all of my stuff. The main reason for the ceiling will be for adding insulation and to reflect the light, more than for looks.

John
    Then buy drywall, rent a hoist for a day, tape the seams with the fiber tape, and slap a quick coat of premixed joint compound on it. That luan is going to sag under its own weight--adding insulation on top isn't going to pretty.

If you do use luan, wear good gloves. That stuff splinters looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advice!
    The main reason for the ceiling will be for adding insulation and to reflect the light, more than for looks.
    John
    Craigslist is a help with finding materials, I haven't gotten around to it yet, but plan to cover the batt insulation in my pole barn roof, it is a 12/12 pitch, my goal is added insulation, appearance, and prevent damage to the batts. That is why I believe I will buy some used 3/8" insulation fiber board, there is a local guy in the roofing business who always is advertising used PolyIso, I thought a thin sheet would be easy to work with, and I can use a roofing gun nailer to install it. Might be worth it for you to look at more material options.