Thread: woodworking show this weekend

woodworking show this weekend

Any one going to the woodworking show in Denver this weekend. Starts Friday, they dont have many of the big boys and there toys at this show. I went last year with my LOML and my dad and a good time

Rich

I'm thinking of going, but I've never been to a WW show. This seems pretty small to me, any insight on what I can expect if I do end up going?

Thanks!

Dave Sepucha: I attended the Portland Show last Saturday (Nov. 12). I drove down for specific reasons:-- I wanted to examine some of the Lee Valley planes, esp. recently introduced small bevel up smoothing plane. -- Since Felder was there, I wanted to look at the Hammer K-3 saws. Often heard how well made and practical the European sliding saws are and this was the opportunity to inspect the K-3 and its features.--The Squeeze wanted to take advantage of a sale at a large fabric store to stock up on quilting fabric and related things as well as stop at a few quilt shops on the way back. I came away impressed with the Lee Valley planes, their other sundry tools as well as their hardware display and the Hammer K-3 sliding table saw. The newly designed Bosch 12” miter saw was there and I was surprised at how smoothly it operates. I observed quite a few buyers taking advantage of Bosch’s sales. While there I also talked to David Hughes, President of Peachtree Woodworking. Probably for at least the last 10 years, I seem him at every show and chat with him for a few minutes. It has become sort of a ritual for me to talk with him and Dave Keller of Keller Dovetail jigs. ‘Sorta’ hard to believe that I bought a Keller jig in the mid to late 1980’s.As for the show itself, it was about the size of last year’s Portland Show. But even though I was there on Saturday, it did not seem to be as crowded as last year’s show. As I said, I went for specific reasons as the show is an approx. 200 mile round trip drive, so it was worthwhile for me. While there, I also look for the “gadgets and gizmos” that might save me time and/or make something easier. As for the seminars, I never attended one. So I can not comment. Since you never attended a wood show, it just might be worth your while to go. You could probably spend 3+ hours perusing the books at Fine Wood Working, watching the vendors’ demonstrations, and just talking and listening to the vendors and other woodworkers.