Thread: Mold Making, Casting

Question Mold Making, Casting

A client asked if I could make molds with my laser engraver and I did not know how to answer the question. The idea would be to find a material to engrave away an image deep enough then use it as a mold to pour different rubbers and plastics. Has this ever been done? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

I do it the other way .. use the engraver to carve a master, then make the mold
    from that. But it depends on what you're going to pour. I make little tiny things
    so it works out fine for me.. depth of less than 1/8" is fine for the laser, but
    more than that and you'll likely need to find another way. (CNC router perhaps?)

That makes sense, I am just exploring possibilities and ideas people throw at me. Thanks!

I do spin casting masters, make em out of acrylic and then they get put into a mould , vulcanised to harden the rubber *the heat destroys the acrylic master but the mould is perfect* , the high temp rubber moulds are used to spin cast low melting point metals, Works a treat.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I've engraved some in acrylic for mud flaps for model trucks. These were in 1/24 scale and he cast then is a rubber compound of some type. He sent me the photo of the prototype and i worked from it.

rich

Biggest problem with trying to actually engrave the mould is that you have little control of depth and the engraved surface is VERY rough in most cases , acrylic would work for anything that is under about 150 degrees C
    You can actually engrave high temp mould rubber - RTV (room temperature vulcanising) silicon , works similar to rubber stamp material in terms of settings and speeds , but you still have the issues with depth control and mould surface roughness.
    We did some work for a dental technician , he actually wanted to use wax to pour into a set of moulds and then use the lost wax casting process to cast em in gold , he polished out the surfaces after casting so surface roughness wasnt an issue , these were EXTREMELY small items as they were used as tooth decorations. We used 6mm Acrylic and engraved em very shallowly , did multiple "polishing" passes to try minimise the laser engraving roughness. A polishing pass runs over the entire graphic slightly out of focus at high speed and low poer , just enough to sort of "melt" the ridges the laser leaves.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Last year there were several discusions of making candy molds. You might want to do a search as several good ideas and a place showing casting materials were shown.

GDG