Thread: Painted crown next to stained cabinets

Painted crown next to stained cabinets

Hello, all. I'm building some cabinets out of cherry. The uppers go up to the ceiling. I currently have a run of crown from the great room, into a dining area and around the kitchen. The uppers are divided by a few feet of open space over a door. My question is what should I do with crown? It would look silly with painted crown over the stained cabs, but I also think going from paint to stain to paint to stain to paint would look bad as well. I've never noticed this situation before. How would you approach this? Thanks

Hmmmmm? You're right that is a new one ......are you mainly concerned with the pc of crown above the door way? You say the uppers go to the ceiling but then you mention crown over the cabinets.

I wouldn't take the cabinets to the ceiling. Generally, you don't do two different finishes on the architectural millwork in one room. running the cabinets to the ceiling effectively makes them part of the room trim. Stopping short of the ceiling allows you to treat them as a separate furnishing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisby Clark View Post
    going from paint to stain to paint to stain to paint would look bad as well. Thanks
    You lost me with the number of transitions above. ?? I thought you had two uppers separated by a door; above the door is painted crown. Is there stained crown on the cabinets? If there is here's what I would do in order of preference:
    1. Remove the crown over the door and between the two uppers and leave it without crown.
    2. Leave the painted crown in place.

Or maybe I'm just confused.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 11-21-2011 at 1:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I have the ever-popular builder special white cabinets that go to the ceiling. Going from left to right, the white crown starts with a return to the wall, then starts covering the cabinets that turn a corner. That section of uppers ends next to a doorway. On the other side of the doorway, the cabinets turn and go down another wall, forming a U shape. The crown continues past the cabinets and runs throughout the dining area and greatroom. I would really like to carry the cabinets to the ceiling if possible as it's only an 8foot ceiling. Thanks for the help.

White crown in my LR wraps two cherry shelf units that are on either side of a corner fireplace wall. All white looks ok to me. I plan change the the corner wall to cherry frame and panel and am not sure how that will look, but will likely still leave it white.

Just continue the crown around the room, stained crown on the cabinets and painted on the walls.

Nice job Leo. I like how you turned the open shelves sideways to hide the clutter.
    Mark
    Mark R

That was the clients idea. Boy, while constructing it you really had to remember that it was sideways. I know on several occasions I wanted to do something "normal" only to remember it was not a normal situation.

Thanks

We did the contrasting crown in a house and it looked great. I'll see if I can did up some pics, but the cabinets were oak and the trim was a medium green. Wasn't too thilled about it when give the idea, but it turned out really well when combined with a white beadboard cieling.

The problem comes in when you can't duplicate the painted crown with the stained crown, either in profile or size. And because of that, you can't miter the two together and have them look decent.

A friend solved the problem by putting in a small box in the corner. Actually looks pretty good. Note that the stained crown is quite a bit smaller than the painted crown. It was sized to look good on the bookcases. Bigger crown would have looked awkward there.

Mike

Crown molding 002.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.