Thread: Drill press table adjustment using windshield wiper motor

Drill press table adjustment using windshield wiper motor

A small drill press is a wonderful tool except for the table height adjustment; about the time you get everything set up you see the height is not right. When you turn the crank the table swings back and forth and ruins the setup. I have seen a couple of posts in forums about using a motor to raise the table. My brother even told me about somebody who connected a cordless drill to the crank.

My motorized lift uses a windshield wiper motor I got from Monster Guts; price right now on the motor is $16. I used a piece of aluminum to mount it under the table. The enclosed two jpegs show the mounting; I took the table off and laid it upside down for the photos. You can see I didn’t do a very good job on the aluminum; I was just kind of experimenting when I started and the mount was one of the first things I made.

The drive uses a timing belt and two pulleys. One pulley is mounted where the crank arm was connected and the other on the shaft of the wiper motor. Belt tightness can be adjusted by moving the aluminum mount. To run the motor I use a momentary double pole double throw switch; I got it at All electronics for about $3.50 although of course there was some shipping cost also. For a power supply I am using a charger that came with one of my previous cameras; it is listed as 12 V 3 A and seems to have enough power.

The only real problem is the shaft on the wiper motor, the connector from Hell. It has a tapered friction fitting with a 6 x 1 mm threaded shaft sticking out from the taper. Nothing standard about it. I spent so much time on this I drew a picture which is shown in the other drawing. Basically I cut about a 1” length of 5/8” aluminum rod and then drilled it out and tapered it so it more or less matches the fitting on the motor. A barrel bolt is used to hold it on. The advantage of using the piece of aluminum rod is that when you do something wrong and ruin the fit you just cut another piece and start again. The hole in the pulley is drilled out to 5/8” so it fits over the rod. I found a source for 6 mm barrel bolts but didn’t get them; in my pile of old bike parts I found a brake boss from a previous mountain bike that works. The brake boss is the strange looking thing you see sticking out from the pulley. A real barrel bolt would be prettier.

I have been using this setup for about a year, and I smile every time I adjust the height. The motor is kind of cheap and some times you have to flick the switch a couple of times to get the motor to start but that is no real problem. Every drill press should have such an adjustment; if it was built in only a few dollars would be added to the tool cost. If you want to use a wiper motor to drive something you can try my fitting method.
    dPress3.jpgadapter.jpgdPress2.jpg

What do you use for power to the motor?

John

Gary,
    Welcome to SMC.
    Very clever. This will send me out to the shed to check my spares for the old truck.

BobV

Power to the wiper motor

John,

I had a battery charger for a camera or some previous electronic device. The charger is 12 V with supposedly a 3 A capability. It runs the motor ok. A stronger power supply might work better.

Hmmmm.....wondering about a router lift?
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    Clever rig Gary. How fun is that bit of wizardry guys? Welcome to the Creek.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm going to give this some thought. I have a small DC gear motor that can run from rectified house current. I also have some small sprockets and chain. I'm liking this better all the time.

John

I really like that.

I wish I had one. It is a bit surprising that they do not sell one as an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I wish I had one. It is a bit surprising that they do not sell one as an accessory.
    two words " supply/demand

My first thought would have been to use a power window motor. I would not have thought a wiper motor would have enough oomph but I guess that depends on your drill press and how clean and lubricated the tracks are.
    The wiper motor probably draws a lot less current than the power window motor.
    On the other hand, I have power window motors laying around but my trucks old wiper motor was vacuum driven so....

I wonder if the crank handle was replaced with a wheel and the motor was setup with another wheel and friction fit if it would work well without slipping. It would be a lot easier to build for a lot of us and easy to bypass if the motor gave out.

Thats a really cool idea, I'm working on something very similar to raise and lower my planer bed. I bought my motor from Mcmaster carr, wish I would have thought of a wiper motor. Very clever.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.