Thread: gasketed vs non-gasketed S/D pipe for dc

gasketed vs non-gasketed S/D pipe for dc

I have my clearvue on order and am trying to assemble my ductwork. I have one supplier who will sell me 13', 6" gasketed sewer and drain pipe (I think this is the 3034, but I have seen it as yet) for $42. I haven't gotten pricing on fittings. I don't think he has the non gasketed (2729?). Is the gasketed stuff okay to work with, or should I keep trying to find the ungasketed? Lowes had some of this stuff, which they were listing at $72 a pipe, and the fittings were pricey. They also had the ungasketed, but were charging more for 10' of that than I could get 13' of the gasketed from the other supplier.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks,

Nelson

Hi Nelson. I don't believe I have ever heard of using gaskets with S&D. When I installed my 6" pipe, I just shoved it together and put a short screw through the pipe junction. In a couple places where I would not be moving or disassembling the pipe, I put a little silicon caulking around the joint.

Like someone said, I don't need no dang instructions or gaskets.
    Best Regards, Ken

You can pull out the gasket. Then you won't have to fight the gasket. If you use the gasket, be sure to get the lube and remember to bevel the cut pipe ends about the same angle as the factory ends. The bevel doesn't need to be as long as the factory end. Kind of a pain if you're not use to working with gasket pipe.

First of all, the 3034 pipe ia very heavy to work with and is overkill for this application. Keep looking for the 2729 Thin wall S&D. Secondly, if I understand the pricing $43 for 13 feet seems pricy. If all else fails, check the pricing from McMaster Carr. Perhaps you are near one of their warehouses. If not, they will ship ASTM 2729 piping in 6" by 5' lengths and the pricing should be much less than you quoted. Some of the fellows got theirs through agricultural or landscaping dealers such as Tractor Supply or John Deere agricultural. Also, check with the forum on the ClearVue website. Many of the fellows used 2729 as I did and found local sources of supply. Maybe they can give you some leads.

Thanks for that. I wondered if I was heading in the wrong direction there. I did find a john deere landscaping place nearby. I'll try them monday.

Nelson

Gasketed OK

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    Thanks for that. I wondered if I was heading in the wrong direction there. I did find a john deere landscaping place nearby. I'll try them monday.Nelson
    I used the 6" gasketed pipe and was pleased with the result. Although you do have to lube and bevel the pipe, you get an absolutely leak free joint. In a few difficult joints I just removed the gasket and caulked the joint.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    It may be good, solid stuff, but it is way overkill, and far too expensive. A good, commercial plumbing supply store should have the cheaper stuff readily available. In my town, ACE had the best pricing on standard 6" fittings, but their selection is a bit limited.

Look for a real plumbing supplier. I bought my 2729 S&D for $17.50 a 10' stick. Oddly enough, Lowes had the fittings (but not the pipe), and were cheaper on the fittings than the plumbing supplier.

I concur with Kevin. I did the same thing. I paid 18.36 per 10' stick for the first 2, then got the last 3 for under 10.00 per stick because the guy remembered me and the stereo system in my van. Guess that is the jobber rate. You do need to find a big wholesale yard. And don't ask for 2729 pipe, they will say they don't have it. Ask for "6 inch thin wall gravity fed drain pipe". The can find it that way. Another place for the 45 els and 6-6-6 wyes is McMaster-Carr online. Shipping was very reasonable. Just wish they had the 6-6-4 wyes and 22.5 els. Jim.

edit: I bought one 4" gasket type fitting from Lowe's because it was marked down to $1. Never could get the pipe to go into it.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 11-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.