Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't sharpen cabinet scraper

Can't sharpen cabinet scraper

I have one of these BAHCO scrapers: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-mm-Thick.aspx

and one of these Crown burnishers: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...per-Round.aspx

When I draw the burnisher along the edge of the scraper, instead of rolling over a burr on the scraper, it just makes gouges in the burnisher.
    It seems to me the scraper is harder metal than the burnisher.

The burnisher gets good reviews at the Woodcraft site, so I'm at a loss to what I may be doing wrong.

I have the same one. Down by the ferrule, it's not very hard (which is where it'd be nice if it was). Mine is a little better further up, but down by the ferrule, I have done as you've described - put serious nicks in it trying to burnish a card scraper that really isn't that hard.

A 2 cherries triangular burnisher is completely unaffected by the same card scraper.

I still use the round burnisher, though, don't like the triangular, I just use the middle of the rod.

I have used both the triangle and round burnishers but I actually have not cared for either one. A friend of mine made me a burnisher from solid carbide. That thing is awesome!!! Used up-cut spirals are a good source. I use the old round burnisher for closing miters on corners of trim and A&C legs so it is still useful.

This sounds like one of those:

"The fuse in the electric circuit was protected by the circuit blowing up first!"
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    I don't see any mention of the oil you are using to prevent galling. Some folks use 3-in-1, some use ATF, I use router bearing oil, air tool oil or whatever is handy. It doesn't take much but I do see some folks really lather it on(?). The Crown is HSS and 'should' be hard enough but, a shop made one I have made from an old Forstner bit shaft has galled on me when I am too lazy to take 3 steps and get a drop of oil. I know the Lee Valley is Rockwell 58-60 and they offer a carbide one as well although it is quite short. The Hock burnishers are Rc-64!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grind the teeth off a triangular file and polish it. You can buy carbide rod,though it is expensive. You need to get one of reasonable diameter,as carbide is very brittle. The burnisher doesn't have to be real long. 2" is enough,so a 1/4" dia.,4" long piece would make a good burnisher(with 2" stuck in the handle.) I know MSC sells it,Maybe Enco.

Oil? Wipe the burnisher across your forehead. That's usually handy.

Have you heard of the practice of rubbing NOSE OIL on your fly rod ferrules when assembling? That seems to be the thing to do if you are an avid trout fisherman.

I heard LN sells nose oil now. Its supposed to work great on salad bowls too

I have an old Sandvik scraper (now Bahco) that put very nice scoring into a 2 cherries rounded burnisher. Then I got a Hock burnisher from Woodcraft. That works great. I didn't use oil with either one.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I've got one of those inexpensive short carbide burnishers from Lee Valley on the way this week. I think it will work better than the router bit, with a wine cork for a handle I've been using.

IMG_0458.JPG

BTW, wasn't clear from your original post, but did you prepare the the scraper edges - (e.g. joint and polish). I'm still getting the hang of scrapers too, but making sure you do a good job honing the "cutting edge" before turning a burr is essential.

Enco - 1/4" dia Carbide Rod

Enco has solid 1/4" dia x 2" long carbide rod for $6.74 (Model #325-2395)

Solid Carbide Rods Diameter: 0.2500 In., 1/4 Overall Length: 2 Material: Solid Carbide

I've made a burnisher with this rod and used it on scrapers I've made from 1095 Spring Steel. Since this spring steel has a hardness of 48 to 52 Rc, this is one of the few burnishers out there that seem to work well on it. I mean, other than a Hock burnisher.

And as far as oiling it, "Nose oil" certainly does work. But I've also use mineral oil. I made a down and dirty applicator from a plastic bottle that has a nozzle with a sponge affixed to it. (I found it at work in the dumpster but they sell them at McMaster Carr. I'm not saying you need one. But if you can find one, it's useful.) I just drag the burnisher across the top of the sponge before I start on the scraper and it seems to work just fine.
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I don't see any mention of the oil you are using to prevent galling.
    Mine got chewed up while using mineral oil, which is no problem on the part of the burnisher that is properly hardened. I have used the nose and forehead oil with no problem, too.

When ya get tired of spending big bucks for a burnisher, go to your local mechanic and ask for a wrist pin from an engine re-build. That's what I used. $00.0000 and no tax.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

i have the same scraper and same burnisher. i can get absolutely vicious shavings with it. i only take one little swipe with the burnisher, after filing, thats all it takes. people tend to overthink burnishing-there is almost no art to it at all, just simply dragging a piece of metal.

The burnisher was much more effective out beyond it's midway point, which doesn't make much sense to me. You would think it was just a hardened steel rod embedded in a wood handle.
    But it's more like they hardened it after the handle was put on, as if someone held the handle and stuck it in a fire

I also use oil, but from my earlobe. Not sure why the earlobe, just that it what was recommended in a book or a website.

Crown tools are so deceptive. I bought a marking gauge years ago and I thoughtI was buying a top quality tool. It's English, it's beautiful rosewood, etc.. Then I got it home and it looked like the mortise was cut by someone as crummy at woodworking as I am. I sent it back, and they sent me one with a better mortise, but the pins were out of alignment. I didn't send it back again...I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Grind the teeth off a triangular file and polish it. You can buy carbide rod,though it is expensive. You need to get one of reasonable diameter,as carbide is very brittle. The burnisher doesn't have to be real long. 2" is enough,so a 1/4" dia.,4" long piece would make a good burnisher(with 2" stuck in the handle.) I know MSC sells it,Maybe Enco.

Oil? Wipe the burnisher across your forehead. That's usually handy.

Have you heard of the practice of rubbing NOSE OIL on your fly rod ferrules when assembling? That seems to be the thing to do if you are an avid trout fisherman.
    It's sufficiently stout..