Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stud Finder

Stud Finder

I realize this question comes up on a regular basis but maybe there's some new technology out there that works.

Have you bought a stud finder that works in, say, the past two years?

I generally can't depend on my stud finder. Once I get a reading, I have to use a small drill to check if there really is a stud in that location. I'd like to find one that really can locate studs reliably.

Any suggestions?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I do the same thing and will drill small holes to make certain. I also will check along the wall and then use a tape measure to make certain that the studs are 16" OC.

The stud sensors are pretty good but not always correct.

Mike, I'm old school on this...I still have my little Stanley magnet box, the one with the swinging pointer. It doesn't find studs, just nails...(and iron pipe). I've tried the electronic devices, and stud for stud, the Stanley wins, hands down.
    Mick

I watched this video about installing cabinets and saw him use a magnetic-style finder. It is at the 6:50 mark of this video http://www.ez-levelstore.com/Morning...lCabinets.html (btw - an informative video about kitchen cabinet installation after you get past all the goofy video in the introduction).

I haven't used this kind of finder. It seems like it is only as good as the person that put in the original sheet rock.

Roger

I am very old school " hammer " tap the wall
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I just use a magnet to find the nails or screws. Usually a magnet out of an old hard disk drive. Works fine, costs nothing.

Here is the Amazon link to the Magic Studfinder Mike good luck...............

Kevin

http://www.amazon.com/Biary-Innovati...1845495&sr=8-1

I guess it all depends on how well the house was built. I am sure the builder of mine was a drunken sailor. There are more nails in the walls that missed the stud than actually found it.

I ended up getting a Ryobi Tek4 from HD for $20 with the battery and charger. It works better than my stanly circa 2001. My big like is the electrical warning on it. Again, see the point about the builder.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Presutti View Post
    Here is the Amazon link to the Magic Studfinder Mike good luck...............

Kevin

http://www.amazon.com/Biary-Innovati...1845495&sr=8-1
    Thanks. What I'm looking for is whether any of the electronic stud finders work well.

I'm, of course, aware of how to find studs with a magnetic device that senses the metal screws or nails in the wallboard - I have a magnetic device like that already. I've also used the technique of tapping and listening for the difference in sounds between the hollow portion of the wall and the place where a stud is.

What I'd like to find out is whether anyone has purchased an electronic stud finder recently (say in the past couple of years), and had good success with it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

while not really new, I have the stanley pro with a screen. Works 100% of the time on standard sheetrock walls. I don't like the magnet style at all, as you have to search a bigger area, which takes more time. It definitely works better than the 12$ cheap ones with 4 lights.

I also like the electric wire finder light--it makes me especially careful in those zones.

No doubt their are better ones out there now, but this one gets the job done.

I have a Zircon Contractor Transcanner Pro. I've had it for at least 10 years. Works great on drywall (used it today). OK/fair on multilayers (ie drywall|1" exterior sheathing|studs). On tougher situations I generally always come from both sides to find an average center. Looks like they make one that looks like it still sold for $15-20. It has mixed reviews at Amazon. I also have a fancier Stanley one with a screen and lazer and a couple of other things that has worked when I have asked it too, sometimes under tough conditions.

I will note that I do not use either commercially so I have limited exposure to some of the different scenarios that are possible. I also don't use them everyday so longivity may not be accurate for someone who uses it daily.

Don

I just look for the screw pops and go from there...

Mike,

I have tried several stud finders with no luck as well. I purchased the one Kevin suggested, the Magic Stud finder. It works great, and is easy to use. I purchased mine at Rockler.

Sam

Stud Finder
    Mine divorced me back in '74
    Worked just a bit too well....

I have several Zircon stud finders, and they are unreliable at best. I now use rare earth magnets to find the nails/screws, and shoot a laser line to average out the found nails. I used this method to reinforce my ceilings (originally nailed-up drywall, now screws on six-inch centers) before adding blown-in cellulose insulation. A lot of the nails had popped over time, and in some places, the drywall was hanging down about a half-inch. The more screws/nails you can locate in a stud, the more accurate your layout will be. If in doubt, I drilled a small hole to see if I hit wood or not.