Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What speed PC is good enough?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Costco seems to have some good deals online at times.
    Last 3 or 4 computers we've bought have come from Costco. Pretty good computers and very sharp pricing. Weve been buying DELL computers from them.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It is becoming clear in recent days that I need to get a new PC. Mine is just getting too slow. I'm not sure if I need to reload the OS, but if I need to go through that again I would rather get a new PC. I have a Dell XPS 400 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM and Windows XP Pro SP3 now. I'm not out of RAM so upgrading that won't help. My current PC was almost top of the line six years ago. I don't do video games or video editing. I do Internet browsing, email, and Microsoft Office. I do tend to keep a lot of programs open, but even with eight programs open right now I have 500 MB memory free.

What Intel processor will work for me and also get me five or six years down the road? I'm not sure sure if a Core i3 is good enough, or if I need a Core i5 instead. The Core i7 is probably more than I need. I looked at doing another Dell XPS, but the price is up there.

I figured I might get a more reasonable here than a computer forum.
    Honestly I would just clean that computer up. Its better than what we give most of our users who probably use them a harder than you and they don't have issues. For what you use it for that machine is more than adequate.

Processor speed is just not an issue for PCs these days. Even gaming makes its largest demands of the video processor. Unless you do large photo editing, video processing, or some other heavy duty computing, your processor spends 99% of its time just idling. It can spell check your document or recalculate a spreadsheet in between keystrokes. A faster or slower processor will not noticeably affect your computing experience - delays from the internet or your hard drive generally cause what is perceived as slow performance.

Have you really cleaned up you present system? Defragmented your drive, cleaned out temporary files, made sure that extra programs or utilities are not automatically running? Your processor is faster than mine, and I run CAD programs, the latest program development tools, and stitch together gigabyte-sized panoramic photographs - all just fine. (Well, that last thing would actually take advantage of extra processor horsepower, but you get the picture.) Your present system should easily handle the programs you listed. A new computer will have a shiny new OS, and will run great out of the box, but all Windows computer systems will need maintenance eventually...

If you want a new system - then go for it. But you don't need to obsess over the processor speed.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

4. If you're going for a new system, check Micro Express. Very high quality components that will last years to come.

Take a look at Micro center they have some nice units the last one I bought from them was a refurbished one that runs my CNC

I built a desktop system last year to replace a 12 year old PIII 650 running Win 2K. Old system still works. May give it to my parents if they want it. I started out with the new system thinking I'd spend about 500 bucks. Didn't need anything wild. I don't game. I got an I3 3.2 mhz CPU, a new MB, a new case, hard drive had to change as the new boards are SATA hook up. New DVD buner. I think the case was 50 bucks, the MB was 95, 8 gig memory about 60, CPU 99, HD 60, DVD burner 40 (you can get these as low as 18). Win 7 Pro (32 or 64 on OEM) about 125. I ended up getting a 24" monitor for about 165 after rebate. 3 extra case fans about 8 ea. Wireless keyboard and mouse another 100. HDMI Cable another 15. I already had a newer 500 watt power supply and a speaker system.
    When I found out this summer that I was going in for surgery (next week) I decided to get a laptop. It's also an I3, 2.2. Add to that 8 gig memory 34 after rebate, and various accessories and I've got about 520 in the laptop, and another 80 in wifi items. But it performs faster on Speedtest than my desktop!!
    If I had known last spring about the surgery, I would have gone with a nicer laptop that was an I5 minimum. Would still work with the 24" monitor. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

7. I hope you are very satisfied that all that speed and memory. You'll now have the capacity to do a lot more than browse the internet and do word processing.

8. Why do you need updates. Windows 98 was mature when Microsoft moved on to bigger and more complex. If Windows 98 does what you need from your computer, why spend money getting something you don't need. Spend your money on wood working tools. You always need those.

9. Good luck with your surgery. While recovering, don't go to sleep with that laptop laying on your lap. They don't bounce.

I agree with with Jeff said. For the average user, processor speed is more a function of marketing than an accurate indicator of performance.

I know people that download and install seemingly every gadget, widget or trial version of something they will never likely use. They have a fair number of these widgets running automatically. I will at times have five or six programs open on my work PC, but as soon as I am done with one I close it. I don't leave anything open I do not need or plan on using shortly.

Unless you require those extra 7 or 8 running programs you could try shutting those down and freeing system resources. You might try a cold boot to ensure any memory leaks are purged.

Any program that inserts itself into a Startup folder gets a strike against it in my book. I decide when a program will run.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    Good luck with your surgery. While recovering, don't go to sleep with that laptop laying on your lap. They don't bounce.
    Thanks. Oh, and that's what that roll around tray they put your food on's for, isn't it?

The big thing about changing to an OS that is current and has updates is the security side of it, at least for me. I was totally happy with Win 2K, but have to admit I really like Win 7. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have always built my own from scratch and personally I recommend taking the time to do it that way. By doing this you are not limited to certain parts and brands and can upgraded your computer whenever you want and however you want.

My computer cost a little under a grand and is completely decked out and MUCH faster than any commercial system you could buy on the market pre-done. And if it gets slow or new parts come out I can just upgrade it without worry of compatibility.

There are lots of videos on youtube now showing how to do it from scratch if you do not have experience with it as well. When I do buy computer components online I purchase from TigerDirect as they have some of the lowest prices and best products.

The trend seems to be that the i3 class "goes away" and many machines now come at i5 level with i7 as optional. Unless you are doing "really intensive" work, my choice would be to go i5 and beef up the memory. More memory almost always pays, especially since so many folks are doing more visual types of things that can leverage that memory...editing photos and movies, etc. So rather than spend more on the processor, put it toward RAM, a larger monitor and...a second external hard-drive for backing up your system automatically and regularly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I gave up on building my own PCs years ago. I got sick of dealing with driver conflicts and such. An already built PC usually has tested drivers. Besides, If you want a legal copy of Windows you can't really build anything for less than what most PCs cost new. Building your own only makes sense if you have have some very specific wants/needs such as a high end gaming machine.

I ended up with a laptop so I couldn't build one anyhow.

My brother contacted me last night about buying a desktop PC for the in-laws. I had him buy a $300 HP with an Intel processor on special at Officemax. There are some desktops for about $250, but they have really crappy AMD processors. The benchmarks on the AMD aren't much faster than my 6 year old Pentium 4! The processor he got is about three times faster than the cheap AMDs even though it is still on the low end. Plenty good for the in-laws upgrading from a computer from the late 90s.

Good afternoon good people.

The first personal computer I had was an off the shelf, back when everyone had their own brand, and the their ads could fill a page in the newspaper. Since then I have built my system and always used SCSI. This computer I am writing on is running XP Pro with all the recommended Microsoft maintenance. The days of bad fixes from M/S are a thing of the past.

A significant point is that having more than 3 GB of memory installed in a 32 bit system is a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. Simple mathematics dictates that the most memory a 32 bit computer and OS can use is 3.2 GB. If you want to utilize more memory you must go to 64 bit hardware and software.

My system is about 7 years old with a 3.2 Ghz single core Intel processor. Behind me on a table is my new in-process system. It is a modest configuration consisting of

An Antec quiet cabinet with 550 watt power supply
    An Intel DX58SO2 mother board,
    Intel i7 960 4-core processor operating at 3.2 Ghz.
    A 500 GB Western Digital SATA boot drive
    ATI Fire Pro V5800 video card
    Tthe cd/dvd player/writer is Plextor.
    And 12 GB CRUCIAL MEMORY yes, it will be a 64 bit system running Windows 7, 64 bit.
    I only use Crucial memory since it is manufactured in Idaho USA, and it is the memory business that Texas Instruments sold when they got out of the memory business.

Do I need such a beast? Heck NO, but it was time to play with the current hardware available in the marketplace.

I must say that things are not what I remember when I built my last/this system in 2005. Now, the whole world is either USB or SATA, with some Ethernet and sound thrown in. I had to order USB mouse and keyboard. What is the world coming to? Talk about putting 10# of Stuff in a 2# bag, those internal headers require a magnifying glass to find then, not to mention making the connection to the proper pin.

The processor I bought from Micro Center down the road in Dallas. The had the best price by about $30. Most of the rest came from our friends at AMAZON.

Well, I am out of breath and brain. Enjoy buying or building your new toys....
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 11-25-2011 at 4:32 PM. Reason: fingers can't spell
    Best Regards, Ken