Thread: A Chair Pair

A Chair Pair

I recently completed this "pair" of rocking chairs in walnut and spalted western maple burl. The joinery is done primarily with hand tools.

Enjoy, please comment.

PB200192.jpgPB200193.jpgPB200198.jpgPB200202.jpg

Bret

Bret compliments your chairs are very nice also because they are handmade, I hope to be able to copy your project.
    Greetings Vittorio

Brett,

Well Done!!! The differnet woods sure raise the interest factor through the roof. You keeping them or are they out the door procjects???.... That would be a though one.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Nice ! You clearly have mastered the spoke shave - any tips for someone who dreads trying to finish curved surfaces ?
    David in Périgord Vert

Beautiful workmanship, well done.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Nice looking chairs!

I hesitate to offer constructive criticism, but since you asked for it... I'm a little concerned about your seat joints. You did such beautiful joint work where your headboards connect to the back legs - but it appears that the seat is screwed to the legs? Maybe it is just a bad photo...

Gregory,

The seat to leg joinery is a double lap joint and is indeed also screwed together. Screwing the joints is how Sam Malloof showed me how to do it. All the joints in the chair are either double lapped or mortise and tenoned and they are all also screwed with 2-1/2" to 3" screws.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post
    Gregory,

The seat to leg joinery is a double lap joint and is indeed also screwed together. Screwing the joints is how Sam Malloof showed me how to do it. All the joints in the chair are either double lapped or mortise and tenoned and they are all also screwed with 2-1/2" to 3" screws.

Bret
    I certainly won't argue with anything Sam told you to do I just couldn't see it from the photos. Blame my bad eyes