Thread: Case /dresser construction...

Case /dresser construction...

So I am starting to build a dresser out of hickory. The sides will be solid about 33" tall with 3 levels of drawers. I plan on a dado in the sides to catch a dust frame and this will box out the drawers.

I have a few questions.

The first is should I glue the dust frame full length into the dado? If not how do you attach it? I was planning on using a 2" wide piece of hickory and then pocket screws to make my frame.

The second. Do I need plywood or something in between the drawers or can they just be open? Not that this will ever be seen but wasn't sure what the best practice is.

Thanks,
    Greg

Hi, if you glue the dust frame for the entire length of the dado, you'll have a cross grain situation which will result in damage.

I use either a sliding dovetail with the front couple of inches glued in place or a mortise and tenon frame construction with the front tenons glued as well the front couple of inches of the frame glued into the dado.

The rear tenons have about a 1/4" gap between the shoulder and the rear stile, not glued. The rear stile is glued into the dado.

Both methods allow for expansion and contraction with changes in humidity...............Regards, Rod.

Rod thanks for the thoughts. That is kind of what I was thinking about when I asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    The second. Do I need plywood or something in between the drawers or can they just be open? Not that this will ever be seen but wasn't sure what the best practice is.
    Most chests use a dust catcher between the drawers, that is a common design. I have made a few chests, none of them have had this. I use undermount slides instead of traditional wood runners, not the "traditional" way, but makes for really smooth drawer operation.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Ditto what Jeff said. To keep dust out of my chests and dressers, I fully enclose the bottom and the back.

The bad part about no dust panels is when the drawer below the one you need is over stuffed. You go to the one drawer the wife lets you use for some fresh tighty whitey's and you notice its rubbing on the upper face frame. Then you push it back in and find it only goes half way. Why...... Well the wife decided the gal dies with most clothes wins. It called the pack and push drawer closing method. They are all experts at it, must be bread in. Now you have to pull your drawer out and pack all that mess back down because your drawer pushed the pile over the back of her drawer. Every chest of drawers i build gets a dust panel between the drawers, women customers always ask for them. You know its not about the dust, its about packing them like a wind up jack in the box.Don

I'm not sure how much dust prevention they actually accomplish, but they're really not dust frames without the panels, whether ply or solid.

I own a small but high grade 18th century reproduction chest. It doesn't have dust panels, just open frames between the drawers.
    Probably historically accurate.
    Possibly back then (before machines) making some kind of laminate, or raised panel board for a dust divider was considered a little too much.
    But now we have 1/4" birch ply. Thanks heavens for that.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...af4e0cc7_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    I own a small but high grade 18th century reproduction chest. It doesn't have dust panels, just open frames between the drawers.
    Probably historically accurate.
    Possibly back then (before machines) making some kind of laminate, or raised panel board for a dust divider was considered a little too much.
    But now we have 1/4" birch ply. Thanks heavens for that.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...af4e0cc7_b.jpg
    English or Continental original pieces will more likely have full hardwood panels. American reproductions or originals usually will not.

Don