Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything I shouldn't do on my bench?

Anything I shouldn't do on my bench?

I just completed a bench build, and this is the first decent bench I've had to work on. I was about to begin work restoring some tools when it occured to me that it might be a bad idea to use my bench for that. The reason I was concerned is that I remember seeing some projects ruined because guys had used steel wool on a project on the bench, and the next project somehow picked a little of that up. The steel wool became apparent as it rusted during the finishing stage of the project, and it was basically ruined.

I'm not sure what kinds of things are ill-advised on a woodworking bench, so I thought I would ask before I did something I shouldn't. The specific project I had in mind was putting a wire wheel on a grinder and clamping it to my bench so that I could start removing some rust from tools. I thought about the metal particles flying off and remembered the steel wool story.

I'm a newb, so this concern could be completely unfounded, but I wanted to ask what stuff I should avoid doing on/near the bench before I did something I would later regret. It was a lot of work to build, so I don't want to effectively ruin it or a future project.

D

How I do it .....

I use my main bench for woodworking, only, and NOT even for final glue-up.

I have a sheet of hardboard that I throw on top, and clamp on, if I want to do anything that might ding it, excessively, or involves chemicals. I typically use this method for glue-up, or use my assembly table.

Good luck !

I have a seperate smaller, simpler workbench that I use for any steel work including sharpening. Wood goes on the woodworking bench, steel on the steel working bench. Plus, any holes you drill in wood should have the wood overhanging the bench so you don't drill into the top. I have had my bench about 10 years now and have never drilled a hole into the top.

I lay a sheet of rosin paper over the bench when finishing pieces.

I wouldn't worry too much about stray wire - you could always take a pass with a tack rag to make sure it's clean.
    It's a bench, it should get use. No need to baby it, you built it to take whatever you dish out.

Well, you shouldn't start fires -- at least big fires. The purpose of a bench is to get beat on. Babying it makes no sense.

My wife said we were to old to christen the new workbench. Don

I beat the heck out of my bench. One of these years, I will take the top to my local mill and have it flattened on the wide belt. Then I'll beat on it some more Life's too short to baby my tools.

Now I do try to keep glue and finish off the bench so it stays flat but I'm not crazy about it. if a little falls onto the bench, so be it. I'm just sure to clean it up so it doesn't cause a problem later.

I thought the purpose of sawdust and shavings was to soak up excess airborne Estrogen.
    Expensive yarn is an effective antidote to Testosterone, apparently.

My bench is too high for your suggestion, DGW.
    Now if I could just unthink that image.....ewww.

9. I would avoid large scale glue-ups or finishing jobs.

First project on the new bench: a not-so-nice bench for just those tasks.

Go with the sacraficial top if you're worried about it. Yes, sometimes we do things on our bench we shouldn't and it's possible that a project will pick up some of the residue...that's the point when you realize probably should've put a piece of scrap on it to protect it. I'll stain on mine, but I have the stain and such on a seperate piece of scrap to minimize the occassional oops.

But yeah, most of us build benches to be beat on and such, and others use a sacraficial piece. Cheap piece of insurance. Some will even put a piece of hardboard down during assembly just to ensure a flat surface.

A bench brush is an essential shop tool, IMO; the occasional sweep will keep your bench top clean of debris.

I'm not in the camp of beating up a bench though; you can do all the work you need by working on the bench, not into it. You can get the most out of your tools while neither beating them up nor babying them; they last longer if you take care of them.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 11-22-2011 at 9:49 AM.

I wouldn't be grinding metal on mine, but I guess the things you do or don't do upon the bench kind of depends upon what your bench top is made of ??? The bench is is to be used as a tool, and over time will get a full array of scratches, cuts, chisel marks, etc, all of which I view as a "patina" . . . .. but somedo get abused and die an early death, or at least look like they are dead . . . your bench, so your choice. Use it and enjoy it.

Ditto the sacrificial top (masonite cover) or rosin paper for certain activities where you need a platform, such as gluing up, staining, finishing, etc.

I built mine to be used. I try not to get oil on it - oil like machine oil, etc. When I do glue-ups one it, I'll generally put down some waxed paper. One section is an interesting rorschach-type thing with blotches of colors from dye powder, steel wool/vinegar ebonizing solution, etc. On occcasion, I'll hit it with the ROS. I'm thinking of taking a day and putting in some patches where the most egregious examples of wayward drill bits are.

It looks like it gets used. Which it does. A lot.

You could easily have a sheet of hardboard or MDF handy to put down as a cover sheet, if you were worried about it. I wouldn't go that far myself, but to each his own.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I went to HD and found some "shower pan". It's a rubber material you put down before you put down tile. I've had it on my bench since I got it. You can spill glue on it, and after it dries, you can simply bend the rubber and the glue flakes right off. I can drop sharp stuff and they arent dulled nor the bench damaged. Finally, I've had the same piece on it for 5 years and it is as good as the day I put it on. The bench top is like new.

The best part, I can roll it up anytime I need the benchdogs, and put it back on at will.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Surgery, you should definitely never perform surgical procedures on your work bench.