Thread: Another finished project

Another finished project

Finished this cabinet for a lady at work. Don't hang me for using pine. I would have perferred to use oak or ash... but the customer is always right. I used birch ply for the panels.

All said and done, made about $0.0039 an hour.

Scott

Woodchips....Natures Vitamins

Scott,

I think that it looks great! You have really made the pine look great! I have a lot of pine in my house and I really like it
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Looks great Scott,
    Don't kid yourself working with pine is not easy , you have to be so careful with it . It dents and scratches easy . I would much rather work with oak or maple . When I was just starting out in woodworking I used pine for everything ,it was cheeper and it was already jointed and plained.
    The finnish on the cabinet looks great too as I know first hand on how hard it is to get stain to absorb evenly on pine Great Job I'm sure that the person you made this for will be greatful.

Great looking piece Scott. I agree with what has been said here. Pine is very tough to finish and get a nice even finish. I still use alot of pine, you have to be careful and be selective picking out your wood, then you still always get suprises!

Corey

Has a nice warm look to it! Nice job w a usually tough wood to work with....
    Jerry

Very nice work Jerry. You should be proud. Oh, yeah, how do you manage to squeak out such a hefty profit margin To be honest, that's about twice what I get, if I don't actaully lose money. But, hey, I'm in it for the joy of working with wood. [At least that's how I rationalize it]
    Last edited by Jim Stastny; 03-06-2005 at 2:24 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

looks good.. good fit on the top dwr. nice overall color

lou

I liked the cabinet the first time I saw it, and the more I look, the more I like it. Do you use pine alot? I know you said you would have rather used a different wood, but you did such a good job -- it looks too good for you to have just lucked out with the finish.

Scott,

Wow! Now that's what pine should look like when it's finished properly. You did a beautiful job on that piece. I love the crisp lines on that design. Keep em coming.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have made alot with pine, but prefer to use oak. Pine has a mind of it's own, and it's not a nice mind. I had a couple of pieces cut and laying on top of the TS. The phone rang, answered it and 15 mins. later came back to find one board twisted up like a pretzel. Had to make a trip to the lumber yard for another board.

PINE = Pain IN Ess.

I did use a wood sealer, but then the stain would not take to the color I wanted. Had to mix stains to get the right shade.
    Scott

Woodchips....Natures Vitamins