Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: putting subs in my car?

Sony Xplod subwoofers are a false economy: The sound quality is not very good by any means. I feel pretty confident that if you put a TRUE 2200 watt RMS amplifier on two sony Xplod subs you would have two things: way too much power for your needs and two broken subs. A great quality 600 watt amp would still be a bit much for those two subs, honestly. I would rather get one Alpine Type R than two sony xplod subwoofers any day. As far as amplifiers, quality is the first thing to look for like said before. If you want to save money, I'm a fan of used. I would rather buy good quality used items than new mediocre items.

For Dubstep with stock doorspeakers, it seems that audiophile quality isn't the utmost priority, you just want something in the low range that fills in what your stock speakers are missing.

You need several things: first, you don't want to tax the electrical system of your car by getting a monster amp and sub that would way overpower your factory door speakers. You need an efficient system.
    A Class D amplifier is much more efficient than a class A amplifier, so basically look for a Mono (single channel) amplifier. You won't notice the difference at all. For an efficient sub, you can increase efficiency by either a higher sensitivity rating, larger box, and box type. A 15" sub is too muddy, 10's are great but a 12" woofer has about 45 percent more surface area.

So now you need: 12" subwoofer, mono amp. More affordable mono amps generally generate most power when encountering a 2 ohm load, so you either need a 2 ohm subwoofer or a subwoofer with dual 4 ohm voice coils. Dual voice coil won't make a difference in sound quality, it just gives different options for the matching up of amps to subwoofers. Price should be the same either way.

If you are running two quality subs, you'll need at least 4 gauge wire. This type of setup typically draws enough power that your headlights will dim each time the bass "hits," so I'd stick with one subwoofer, but maximize your volume capability by using a vented box. This should let you use 8 gauge wire, and this should be good for a 12 foot run with a 400 watt amp. That's pushing it a bit, but hopefully you won't be maxing out your amp and drawing so much current anyway. If you wan't two subs just because you're stuck on the idea of it, then run 4 gauge and a bigger amp but you'll need a capacitor to buffer your electrical system.

Some amplifiers have high level inputs so you can just run some speaker wire from the rear speakers to the amp to get the audio signal to the amp. If you get an amp with only low level inputs, then you can either run RCA's from a subwoofer output on your new head unit (I'm not a big fan of the low/mid level Sony's, though... Pioneer and Alpine or other higher quality) or you can get a high level input converter that converts the high level signal (rear speakers) to a RCA outlet.

I would want a head unit that had subwoofer level control; you might love all that bass with your dubstep, but when you go to listen to NPR or something the bass is overwhelming and annoying.

Another feather I would really want in a head unit would be a high pass filter for your door speakers. If they are fed a full range signal, then they will waste power trying to play frequencies which they are not capable of reproducing. A high pass filter will only let higher frequencies through that they can actually play, thus making overall sound quality better.

Recap:

Single channel Mono amplifier of reputable quality in the 350 - 400 watt range.
    Single 2 ohm 12 inch subwoofer - you'll either need a single 2 ohm coil or dual 4 ohm voice coils. Either is fine.
    Vented Single subwoofer box. Stuff some polyfill in the box to help with unwanted resonance as well as making the box think it's bigger.
    8 gauge power/ground wire will do, 4 would be better
    Head unit with sub rca outputs, sub level control, high pass filter

Alpine Type R is a great bang for the buck sub.
    Used quality >> new mediocre

Ben, i have decided on getting a x 15 sub from Fi audio.
    im now trying to figure out what amp i need to power the sub at dual 2 ohms
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    got kinda tired of clicking see more replies.

how do i wire the amp up to work for the dual 2 ohm speaker?
    You don't want a dual 2 ohm speaker for that amp. You want either a dual four, or a single two. The link you provided showed a single two. just hook the positive of the sub to the positive of the amp, and negative to negative.

The previous recommendation to call crutchfield is a great idea. Just tell them your budget and what you want to do and they will make highly appropriate recommendations. Top notch customer service.

i think i read it wrong. i guess i need some coffee

Ben, i have decided on getting a x 15 sub from Fi audio.
    im now trying to figure out what amp i need to power the sub at dual 2 ohms
    it is not a dual 2ohm sub...you can buy it in either a single 2ohm version or a single 4ohm verionm.

and you do not want to power it at dual 2ohm anything...did you read what i just wrote? I think you read it wrong.

But copy and paste it back here...so i can see what you are talking about....but you don't power a sub with dual 2ohm anything...you could power a dual 2ohm sub...and you can have a 2 channel amp outputting at 2ohm...but you can't power anything with dual 2ohm....its either written wrong or you are quoting it wrong.

yeah, i was reading things wrong. my bad. sorry about the confusion

This is what I used - and it's reversible. Not bad for less than $200.

Two things to note, follow the instructions for 12vDC installation, so that it powers on when signal is present.
    Mine died prematurely, due to direct wiring (I used a cigarette lighter adapter, which provided dirty power).

Blog Entries
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it needs repeating if you're installing an amplifier:

- You will almost definitely need to upgrade the "big 3" wires under your hood (alt to batt, neg batt to engine, engine to chassis). If you don't do this then the probability of an annoying whine from your speakers is very high. This is just a few dollars in wire and terminations.
    - Installing fuses at the battery, amp, and distribution blocks is critical if you don't want to burn your car down. The fuses need to be sized for your wire gauge (which should be sized for your amp/s). More info: http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

You can buy amp wiring kits that should contain all the parts you need.

Man, I wish I could hear what you guys are saying...but that ringing in my ears just muffles everthing. Anyway, Chris, go for it. Don't listen to old fogies that say do as I say not as I, well, did. We're just trying to keep you from experiencing the joys of music in a vehicle louder than at concerts. Who doesn't want that?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'm with you, Mike. I had the loud stereo for about 2 years and probably lost 5% of my hearing because of it. Too bad wisdom is wasted on the old. I'd really love a do-over on that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it needs repeating if you're installing an amplifier:

- You will almost definitely need to upgrade the "big 3" wires under your hood (alt to batt, neg batt to engine, engine to chassis). If you don't do this then the probability of an annoying whine from your speakers is very high.
    this is 100% FALSE!!!!! Could not be MORE false.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand in THIS coooooorner, wearing the red trunks....
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand in THIS coooooorner, wearing the red trunks....
    it would be like mike tyson in the 80's...i would knock him out in the first round. But i look forward to his rebuttal :-)

Tim, why is it false?

also, should i gow ith a parted box or a sealed box?

Tim, why is it false?

also, should i gow ith a parted box or a sealed box?
    Depends on the sq ft you can make a box with and what frequencies you want to hit.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson