Thread: Williamsville Wax food safe?

Williamsville Wax food safe?

Hi,

I made a 'toaster tongs' out of cherry, and was wondering if anyone is familiar with Williamsville Wax - is it food safe (for toast)?

Thanks,

Pete

The information on the Woodcraft site states that it is non-toxic, which is NOT necessarily the same as food safe.

George's Club House Wax, if you can get it in your area (or available through Woodcraft), IS food safe -- it was developed specifically for food contact applications.

Of course, if you have some bees wax and some drug store mineral oil, you could brew your own......
    Last edited by James Owen; 11-22-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Quote Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
    Of course, if you have some bees wax and some drug store mineral oil, you could brew you own......
    That's what I like to do for kitchen stuff as well. Doesn't get much easier.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Thanks guys, what do I do, beeswax shavings heated in a little mineral oil and wipe on?

I put the shavings and oil in a mustard jar, it's plenty to maintain a few cutting boards for quite some time. I put the mustard jar in a sauce pan with water and warm it on the stove. If you start off by only filling half the jar, you'll have plenty of room to add oil or wax to get the thickness you want.
    You don't need to worry about getting thin shavings, I usually drop in chunks...it all melts together in the end.
    I aim for a pasty texture that spreads well when cold. Or you could apply it warm.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Awesome, thanks Mark!