Thread: Best Method for Tambour Gluing

Best Method for Tambour Gluing

I have a couple of tambour doors to make soon. Because of the tight radius (around 1-1/4") in one corner I have to use the cloth backed approach. In the past I used yellow glue to glue the canvas on and I don't remember having any real problems, but I was wondering if a spray contact cement would be better. What approach have you all used and its good and bad points? Thanks.

John

I used yellow glue and it worked for over 20 years (when I lost track of the desk). Norm used contact cement on a tambour on NYW- looked to be easier and cleaner than yellow glue.

I used Elmer's white. Has held up for 8 years.
    Don't see why contact cement wouldn't work, too.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

4. I used contact cement on a couple projects and they have lasted 15 years and still holding

I made at least 30% extra slats to cull the bowed ones and still didn't have nearly enough that I thought would stay glued to the canvas. I drilled and strung them with bicycle cables per an old FWW article. Delighted with the result.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll post some pics when I build the project in a month or two. Probably will go the liquid glue approach, but still have really made up my mind.