Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck Design Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Dan, is this it?

Still need to add railings.

Oops, I missed the third planter and the trellises. And is what I drew as a bench supposed to be higher to be the top part of your trellis?
    Dave. That is very, very close to what I am envisioning. I am thinking of putting 7.5' 4x4 posts in the inside corner of the stair well and on the outer corners of the deck to support the trellice.

Nice Job!

Dan

BTW... no home owner's association to deal with, just the ummm... folks at city hall. I forgot to mention that the door in picture 1 goes to the kitchen. I am designing it as a raised deck so I can use the area underneath for non-secure storage. I am also thinking about a possible rain water irrigation cistern that will sit under the deck. I estimate that 1k to 1.2k gallons will be perfect for my yard.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 03-07-2005 at 12:22 PM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan, do you have a 3D view of your deck from your drawing program?

I'd think twice about the cistern under the deck. Suppose it leaks. Your basement might become a cistern.

Sadly, my 3D program is not the greatest. Good call on the potential leakage issue. That is something I will need to consider. The basement below the deck is actually the garage. The last think I want to do is destroy my tools!

Dan

Dan,

I don't think you really need all of those posts underneath. Using 2x10s only 12" apart should allow you to put one header about 10-11 ft out, with a 5 ft overhang. Check with your local building inspector. I built a similar deck in No. VA once, and the inspector had me remove the posts on the end and use a cantilever (4 posts vice 7). He said it would look better.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Is this closer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You sill need railings behind those seats and planters, however, as you do around the rest of the perimeter, but the "SketchUp! Master" has once again come up with an outstanding visualization!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is this closer?
    I am thinking about having the trellice hang over the stairwell and the outer side, otherwise, that is perfect! Well done with the picture. Would you mind if I use it for my permit application?

Dan

Jim, thanks. I have been working on a rail but I'm just making it up as I go.

Dan, here's a version with stringers under the steps, the rail such as it is and a slight modification to the posts and headers. I have yet to add any sort of rail behind the benches. Maybe you aren't planning benches? You're welcome to use this sketch for your permit application. Keep in mind I'm a biomed not an architect.

edted to add: BTW, are you intending to have the "trellis" only hang over stairs and outside of the deck perimeter? Actually, I guess you'd call what I've drawn a pergola rather than a trellis. You could add a trellis up to the pergola behind the benches.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-07-2005 at 3:25 PM.

Jim, thanks. I have been working on a rail but I'm just making it up as I go.

Dan, here's a version with stringers under the steps, the rail such as it is and a slight modification to the posts and headers. I have yet to add any sort of rail behind the benches. Maybe you aren't planning benches? You're welcome to use this sketch for your permit application. Keep in mind I'm a biomed not an architect.

edted to add: BTW, are you intending to have the "trellis" only hang over stairs and outside of the deck perimeter? Actually, I guess you'd call what I've drawn a pergola rather than a trellis. You could add a trellis up to the pergola behind the benches.
    Dave, You are the man!! Yes, please excuse my inappropriate use of termonology. it will be a pergola above the benches.

Regards,

SO the pergola will be over the benches AND extend outward? How far out beyond the end away from the house? Would you want some sort of trellis extending up between the benches and the pergola?

By the way, are you worried about Gort, the robot or what?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-07-2005 at 4:18 PM.

I want the pergola to be in the same place as you have done it with the trellice. It will hang over 5' on both sides.

Regards,

Dan

Dan, here is the outline of the pergola and its projection on the ground. I drew it so that it extends 5' outside and 5' inside the support posts. It extends 12" toward the house from the post at the top of the steps and 12" beyond the far post. I just took a stab at those numbers.

The posts are drawn as 4x4s from a comment you made. I think they might need to be larger for this both structurally and from an aesthetic point of view. I also think you'll want supports for at least the outside corners that go to the ground. The rail post at the top of the stairs could be extended upward to the pergola.

I would be concerned about the post at the corner near the bottom of the stairs. Maybe the post supporting the handrail at the bottom could also be extended upward.

Then there's a post out in the yard at the other outside corner. Do you really want a post out there? If so, I'd consider doing something like adding some benches or maybe another planter at that corner.

Dave (and Dan), I agree about the posts, particularly the ones supporting the deck. 6x is much stronger and based on my experience with both sizes at my previous residence, no question, I'd use 6x on any deck structure I'd build today that was more than a foot or two off the ground. Much more stable, especially after weathering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, FWIW, I drew the support posts for the deck as 6x6s but I was referring to the ones that support the pergola which were drawn as 4x4s.

Jim, FWIW, I drew the support posts for the deck as 6x6s but I was referring to the ones that support the pergola which were drawn as 4x4s.
    Ah!! I should have figured that!