Thread: Looking For Laptop Lap Desk Plan

Looking For Laptop Lap Desk Plan

Anyone have plans for a laptop lap desk or something similar? I think a serving tray plan would also suffice. Any recommendations as far as materials to use or avoid are appreciated too. Thanks!

If I recall correctly, Mag Ruffman had one on her blog. Google her name and you should get it. She is the Canadian version of Bob Vila.(minus the facial hair - grin)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Go to toolgirl dot com, click on "creativity, plans and projects" and scroll down. The laptop lap desk is something she wrote for PopWW's "I can do that" series.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    I made one for my wife and then another when I got my laptop. They are not really lap desks. Just flat pieces of plywood with edge banding and a couple of coats of shellac. I put an inlay in mine just for practice. I didn't take any pics because they are just finished boards. I made them wide enough to span the arms of our Lazy Boys and to have enough room for the mouse. The only thin I would change is o put a lip on the outboard side to keep my mouse from sliding off when I lean forward. I didn't take pics or have any plans because they are just finished boards, basically. BB 1/2 ply with Poplar edgeband.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Go to toolgirl dot com, click on "creativity, plans and projects" and scroll down. The laptop lap desk is something she wrote for PopWW's "I can do that" series.
    Mike
    Awesome Mike, thanks!

Ken,
    I've made a few for sale, search 'j forrester woodworks' on facebook and you'll find my business page. I market them as both serving trays and/or lap desks. They're really easy to build and allow for a good exercise in different joinery, I've made three different styles so far. I use 1/4" ply for the panel to keep them light, try to find ply with two finished faces if you go that route. Hope this helps!

Very nice work Jeff, thanks for the inspiration.
    "It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools."
    MVYMR

One thing that frustrates the stuff out of me is when everyone answers and I still don't understand what you want. Did that come out right. Are you looking for a floor standing desk or one to be used when sitting on the couch? I made a couch potato table for my daughter to watch TV while she eats here breakfast (she's 5...don't anyone tell her I called her that.) It's just one 15" x 24" board with two verticals dadoed near the ends as supports. She has small thighs so they didn't need to be big (I had to cut them down). She occasionally uses the lap top on it...which I hardly believe. If one wanted it would not be hard to angle the top by cutting the top of the verticals at an angle. A lip along the front edge would hold the laptop if the rubber feet weren't enough.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    One thing that frustrates the stuff out of me is when everyone answers and I still don't understand what you want. Did that come out right. Are you looking for a floor standing desk or one to be used when sitting on the couch? I made a couch potato table for my daughter to watch TV while she eats here breakfast (she's 5...don't anyone tell her I called her that.) It's just one 15" x 24" board with two verticals dadoed near the ends as supports. She has small thighs so they didn't need to be big (I had to cut them down). She occasionally uses the lap top on it...which I hardly believe. If one wanted it would not be hard to angle the top by cutting the top of the verticals at an angle. A lip along the front edge would hold the laptop if the rubber feet weren't enough.

John
    I understand what you mean 100%. In this instance I was underwhelmed with what I was coming up with personally, so I wanted to see as many different approaches to the same "project" I am messing with, knowing each one would offer a defined style or design that obviously was escaping me, if that makes sense. (Including yours. Thanks!)
    "It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools."
    MVYMR