View Poll Results: How do you refreshen your DNA bath?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep adding more DNA to the mix

28 50.91%
  • At some point, throw the old away and start anew

7 12.73%
  • I don't need no stinkin' DNA!

20 36.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you throw away the bath water?

When the baby is no longer in it. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Noah

I use DNA whenever I want to shorten the drying process. As my liquid has been used a lot, it has darkened quite a bit. It still works perfectly but when I throw in light colored material, I expect some darkening. It turns away in the second turning process.
    faust

Mike
    Could not use a Hydrometer to check the specific gravity of your ethyl alcohol? You might take a look at alcohol hydrometers, or this link for H2O-alcohol ratio. Tom http://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/c...p?content_id=2

Brilliant, Tom. Don't know why I didn't think of that... Must be because I've been out of school for so long that I forget that there are math equations and scientific experiements that can answer my questions! I think I'll go pick a hydrometer up and do a little testing. Now...where to find one. I'll start on Amazon... Thanks.
    I drink, therefore I am.

IMHO, you'd spend yr money better on a lumber moisture meter. You really care about the final moisture content of the wood - not the alcohol. Even if you were able to control the ethanol water content, you'd still find that different woods require different drying times and possibly different techniques. You can also use the moisture meter on your flatwork (oops, did I say that )

I keep my DNA in my unheated pole barn garage. In the dead of winter, the water in the DNA turns slushy. I skim the slush off and assume that my DNA to water ratio has improved.

I just keep adding to it. I use it because I live between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan which makes the humidity levels high in the summer. In the winter, due to heating, the shop gets very dry. These varying effects are difficult to control, so the DNA method seems reasonable and works for me. Like Scott, I am a very impatient turner. I like to get to the conclusion so that I can learn and go to the next piece.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 11-24-2011 at 9:07 AM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Mike
    Could not use a Hydrometer to check the specific gravity of your ethyl alcohol? You might take a look at alcohol hydrometers, or this link for H2O-alcohol ratio. Tom http://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/c...p?content_id=2
    Tom - excellent idea - use science to actually measure the quality.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Jim, that might be the best unscientific method I've heard. Of course, I'd hate to have to wait until winter to clean up my DNA, but at least it works in winter!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    as of the last year I date and coat the pieces entirely with anchorseal.
    How long does it take a piece entirely covered with anchorseal to dry?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

My limited experience with color was bad. I had a bucket of DNA that I soaked 3-4 walnut bowls in. A coupole of weeks later I through in a spalted box elder bowl that came out very brown- a very ugly brown. I now keep two buckets one for walnut the other for all other and have had no more problems.

Mike, about 6 months.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    but in Dan's honor, I guess I'm looking for a little "why?" here.
    <sniffle> I'm getting a little teary-eyed... my young padawan is learning to question the world around him
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I believe what happens is that the alcohol is diluted by water in the wood by a process similar to if not actually osmosis. Therefore the specific gravity of the solution should change (alcohol is lighter than water), and that difference should show up on a hygrometer.
    Therefore if you begin with say 100 % alcohol bath and soaked a piece of green wood for some period then the resulting water/alcohol solution now being more dense than straight alcohol would make the hygrometer float rise higher. If you continue soaking more wood in the same bath there would come a time when the solution was so close to that of the water in the green wood that it would take much longer to obtain a satisfactory result....if ever. Seems to me that additional alcohol is necessary and that the way to test the solution is with a hygrometer.

Blog Entries
    You guys have a drying problem? I live in Tucson, 30 miles from water & 3 feet from hell. Anchorseal it and throw it in the garage. It'll be ready in no time.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.