Thread: Playing with the wooden hinge

Playing with the wooden hinge

Started playing around with the wooden hinge that was posted about a week ago. After spending a little time deconstructing it to allow for any size to be made I tried to come up with a way to use wood that is a little more aesthetically pleasing than baltic birch ply. The plywood is home made from walnut burl veneer. First ones I left the hinge uncovered. Keeping the veneer glue out of the hinge area was a little challenging. Some people liked the contrast between the hinge and the burl. Next up was to make one with the hinge cut into the veneer and the baltic ( The one with the velcro, I use the baltic as a core.) Some glues didn't do as well as others. The hinge became very stiff, one from the slight increase in thickness but it turned out the glue used had more effect than the added thickness of the veneer. Next was finding a way to use the hinge and real wood. The one here is with simple arrows but any shape could be used. None of these are cleaned or finished. The durability of the hinge really is amazing. Had the a neighbor kid try to ware it out. Stood up very well. Will try some finished items next.
    Duane
    IMG_4449.jpgIMG_4446.jpgIMG_4451.jpg
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

that burl looks great! Would make a nice cell phone case, I'd think

Oh I LOVE these, Duane! I will have to follow your lead and play around with this concept. Thanks for pushing the envelope!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Amazing stuff - love the concept and can think of so many using, now I just need a flatbed to make em!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Where's the "like" button? Way Cool! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Nicely done Duane
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Duane, those really look great! Thanks for sharing!
    Tom Sieczkarek
    Cutting Light Custom Laser Engraving
    Epilog Helix -60 watts
    Sandblasting Cabinet
    Various wood working equipment