Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A DC question, yes, another one.

The part of the cyclone you are concerned with is the part you can't see. There should be a tube inside with fins that direct the airflow. I assume the old ones had it as cyclones haven't changed much over the years but that is what I would ask. You will notice that Oneida has slightly different designs. The smaller diameter longer cone ones are better with the fine dust generated by sanders but your machines will work fine with any properly sized cyclone. The motor is important as it is used much more than other shop motoers so you want a good one. Assuming it has not been beat to death I would take a used Baldor DC spec'd motor over a new asian one. The Leeson used by clearvue pretty good as well. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    To Rod's point on fan HP. Bill went for a 5hp motor, but most installations even with the big 16in impeller don't in practice seem to pull much more than something approaching 4hp in practice. Which implies from the fan curves that they probably run at around 9 - 10in WG pressure drop.

Reduce the duct size, or lengthen the runs (increase the pressure drop) and the HP will drop even further. (fans are counterintuitive in this regard)

He (Bill) says that it was either that or a 3hp with a high service factor (the next stock size up after 3hp is 5hp), and since even the 14 in or so impeller he then was using was already pulling a bit over 3hp steady state he went for the 5hp motor. He was cautious as well about the overly optimistic rating of motors by some makers, and didn't want people to suffer failures.

The logic was (a) there is no significant running cost penalty with the larger motor because the power consumption is similar (it does create the issue of higher start up current though - although that's seemingly not such a problem for you guys in the US), and (b) that if a system is accidentally run with a lot of blast gates open or a section of ducting missing the big motor isn't going to immediately overload. It's also been able to handle increases to 15in and then 16in in impeller size without problems.

My guess based on my own system and with the help of feedback from others is that the big 16in impeller is quite likely somewhat restricted on 6in ducting - that if for example somehow 7in ducting was available to allow the pressure drop in your typical system to be reduced that it would deliver quite a bit more CFM, but at the expense of pulling more amps - it'd bring it closer to fully using the 5hp motor.

Which of course may be heading towards being more than is needed for effective dust collection on a single machine at a time system - I've not seen any information on this. One problem in this case is anyway going to be that few machine hoods will allow these flows - the result of very large ducting in that case may simple be to reduce the air speed more than is ideal for good transportation.

The advantage of running a big impeller slightly restricted is that it'll cope better with machines with smaller hoods, partially blocked filters and the like. A larger impeller has a higher tip speed, and as a result creates a higher level of suction/depression at a given rpm than a smaller one. Put another way - slower tip speed seems to result in a fan curve which drops off more rapidly at the high pressure end of the fan curve.

Building in this extra cushion for reliability of course makes good sense in the context of the DIY style high CFM system that Bill had in mind - most of us will happily pay a little more for a rock solid solution....

ian
    The story I got when I became their distributor in Australia went like this. The 16" fan was produced for export as most export markets run the fan at 2800/50hz not 3450/60hz as happens in the US and the larger fan overcame the drop in RPM and restored the airflow to equal what the US enjoys with the 1800/60hz. I recently did some current draw tests on the 1800 at 220/50hz and with no ducting it drew 12.8 amps full load which is nowhere near 5hp and at no load it was about 4 amps. This was through a VFD operating at 60 hz secondary into the motor and measured at the primary supply into the VFD at 50hz single phase. We run the three phase motor from a single phase input into the VFD to restore the speed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    The story I got when I became their distributor in Australia went like this. The 16" fan was produced for export as most export markets run the fan at 2800/50hz not 3450/60hz as happens in the US and the larger fan overcame the drop in RPM and restored the airflow to equal what the US enjoys with the 1800/60hz. I recently did some current draw tests on the 1800 at 220/50hz and with no ducting it drew 12.8 amps full load which is nowhere near 5hp and at no load it was about 4 amps. This was through a VFD operating at 60 hz secondary into the motor and measured at the primary supply into the VFD at 50hz single phase. We run the three phase motor from a single phase input into the VFD to restore the speed.
    Chris, 12.8 amps on a 3 phase motor is a full 5 hp. Dave

Maybe i'm missing something David, but i can't quite figure what exactly Chris meant. Perhaps the 12.8A was single phase on the supply side of the VFD?

A question to Chris. When you say you ran a CV 1800 with no ducting - was that literally the case? I've not done it, but the received wisdom is that these blowers pull a lot more current if run without some restriction on the inlet.

I don't have a fan curve for the 16in CV impeller, but similar sized blowers done by Cincinatti fan are according to their data up to maybe 12 - 14hp by the time the resistance/pressure drop is down to 1in WG.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 11-27-2011 at 9:21 PM.

All the figures I have seen at 220V say it is not 5hp, in fact some put it below 3hp. Mind you I am no mathematician and am relying on what I can gleen from the net. That test was on a 220V single phase supply to the VFD.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Maybe i'm missing something David, but i can't quite figure what exactly Chris meant. Perhaps the 12.8A was single phase on the supply side of the VFD?

A question to Chris. When you say you ran a CV 1800 with no ducting - was that literally the case? I've not done it, but the received wisdom is that these blowers pull a lot more current if run without some restriction on the inlet.

I don't have a fan curve for the 16in CV impeller, but similar sized blowers done by Cincinatti fan are according to their data up to maybe 12 - 14hp by the time the resistance/pressure drop is down to 1in WG.

ian
    All it had was about 2 feet of 6" into the cyclone and nothing on the exhaust side at all. When we blocked the inlet totally the amp draw was about 4 amps so restricting the inlet as someone pointed out above results in less load. I know it sounds screwy but no air = less load = lower current draw. I only did it because I have a pending cuctomer who has a very restricted power supply and we wanted to see what the maximum load was. It didn't explode or jump off the wall, the smoke is still in the motor and Venus is still where it used to be so I guess nothing untoward resulted.
    Chris

Chris, have you set the vfd to display output amps? My system runs a backward inclined radial fan-15" with a 5 hp Baldor motor so it is not exactly like the Pentz version but close. I run between 11 and 13 amps depending on the gates open. The 16" impeller is bigger but may not pull quite the same amount of air but with 6" mains will pull 11+ amps and with 7" or greater will draw at least the fully loaded amps. My 5 hp has FLA at 12 and I run it higher than that- especially in the winter when the air is colder. Something seems wrong with your numbers. With all my gates closed I still run 10 amps. Dave

The current test was done with a clamp meter so is the real deal I would think. I don't trust the VFD amps figure and knowing it is only showing the secondary side of things. I haven't run it higher but the thought did occur to me and when I made some inquiries the wisdom was not to run it over 4000 rpm in case of an impeller collision with a tape measure or something similar. BTW this is only a 15" impeller as I have yet to do it on a 16" but I will. Does the fact that the primary supply at 220V and not 110V affect the figure?
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 11-27-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Chris

Chris, I would look at the vfd amp draw anyway as the clamp meter is just as likely to be in error. If you are running the 15" impeller at 60 hz with only two ft of 6" inlet and no outlet restriction you should be off the charts. The single phase input would be at least double the output and the output should be about 13 amps. The motor isn't running backwards by any chance? I don't know what the draw would be but it would be less. Dave

A second bit of information having re-read your post. I too experienced very little amp change when the system was up and running by closing all gates which I found a bit weird, I wonder if some of our presumptions are right or wrong. What we did during this test was seal the short duct with a piece of plywood so nothing flowed, so why do I, like you, get very little change when the gates are closed. Does it indicate that what we presume is wrong? The motor must still be under load of some description and I would bet money I have no leaks in the ducting. I can recall thinking it was weird at the time but dismissed it not knowing why I got the result that I did. If you were to close all gates do you get nil out of the exhaust, that is something I have never tried.
    Chris

Yes, but it is running through a 16 amp breaker and it has never tripped and also the VFD has got very limited head room in its capacity so I don't think it can be to wrong. One or the other would react if it were. The clamp meter test was done by an electrician so I guess he trusts his tools.
    Chris

Not running backwards, checked that and in fact the amp draw rises when it does, been there, done that. I think we have hijacked this thread enough, can we take this to email or PM? c_parks at bigpond dot com will get me
    Chris

Sorry, got Chris and Craig mixed up and thought you were the OP. Dave

Hey guys, as the saying goes, I've got no dog in this fight but David is correct in what he said. Everything else being equal, a single-phase motor will draw 1.7X as much (the square root of 3) current as a 3-phase motor of the same voltage in order to deliver the same power. Thus, a motor rated for 12A three phase would correlate to 20A single phase.

How or if that correlates to this thread would depend upon where the 12A was measured.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Don't think anybody has dogs in, it's more a matter of trying to understand what could be going on Jim - if only for the selfish reason that we're running these systems.

The numbers genuinely don't seem to stack up - per the Cincinatti Fan table I mentioned above (http://www.cincinnatifan.com/product-catalogs.htm - click SPB in the list near the bottom, go to pages 6 and 7 and pick one of the 15/16in impellers and read of HP for the various pressure numbers - CV don't yet publish data for their big blower) the current draw should be enormous if the fan is run with no restriction. Bill P also warns strenuously against running these blowers without ducting attached for fear of motor damage, although with a 5HP motor they have more cushion than is typical against this.

It's meanwhile normal for the power drawn by a fan to drop very low if the inlet is restricted - large HVAC fans for example often use automated damper vanes controlled from the star/delta starter to blank the inlet while starting for this reason.

I'd appreciate hearing what the story was Chris when you get to bottom it all out..

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 11-28-2011 at 9:13 AM.