Thread: Help me identify this plane?

Help me identify this plane?

Hi,

I am hoping you guys can help me identify this plane. A family member gave it to me.

I only have new planes, so if you could point me in the right direction for restoring it, i'd appreciate it.

IMG_20111124_214526.jpg

Thanks,

Adam

For restoration start with the stickies in this section. There are several good threads listed there.

I believe you will find this site very useful - it is the product of a Sawmill creek member -- Johnny Kleso.
    I doubt if there's a more comprehensive site around.

http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/pla.../planes101.htm

It looks like a jack plane. Beyond that, more pictures might help with ID. Take some sandpaper and clean up the top face of the cutting iron up at the top (other end from the cutting edge), and see if you find any maker's name/brand name there. When I say top face, I'm assuming the iron is properly in the plane with the bevel down.

First thoughts are that it's a Miller's Falls-made plane of some sort. The adjustment knob is the first indicator. It also looks like the lateral lever is the 'bent L' shape that they used. The lever cap, being one piece, means that it is either one of their economy planes or a plane manufactured for another company. To take a pretty safe guess, just based on the one pic, I'd say it's a Miller's Falls No. 814. Black painted handles, black painted lever cap and the slotted bolts used for the tote and knob are further indicators. Perhaps an early to mid 50's model?

http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/economyplanes.htm

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Joshua said.

It looks like there is a mound around the front knob which is also a Millers Falls indicator.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So far, it seems that you guys are right on with the Millers Falls brand. I have started taking it apart and the only marking I can find on it says "Made in America", but no branding. That goes along with what I have read on the link provided.

After I get it a little bit more cleaned up, my next question to you guys is: is it worth it to actually clean it up and restore it? The blade itself is pretty thin.

Blog Entries
    After I get it a little bit more cleaned up, my next question to you guys is: is it worth it to actually clean it up and restore it? The blade itself is pretty thin.
    The only real answer to that lies in how it performs once it is back together.

The blade may be an inexpensive replacement.

If the plane will work, it will work with the blade in it. After establishing that it works, you may wish to invest in a better blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Most all of my planes - from bench to block - are MF and I love them. (Un)fortunately, I don't own any of the economy planes, so I can't attest to its worthiness as a user. At the least, I'd say that the sentimental value warrants cleaning it up a bit and using it as a roughing plane. That way you don't have to worry about the tolerances of the machining or blade chatter from the thin blade. You also have the benefit of a pretty comfy knob and tote (to me, at least) that a lot of cheaper planes are sorely lacking. That should make your work less tiresome. No matter what, enjoy it and treasure it.