Thread: Finishing a Custom Silverware Drawer

Finishing a Custom Silverware Drawer

First post here, but I couldn't find much on the subject...

I've been planning to rebuild our silverware drawer with custom Blum glides and a built-in maple/walnut organizer. The drawer will be redone with old maple flooring (planed) and some walnut scraps from a cutting board.

My question is do I need to finish this project with anything? in particular my main area of concern is the silverware area. I'm not concerned about product toxicity as much as I'm concerned about durability in that heavily handled environment.

Thanks in Advance!

I did mine with shellac. It's been many years and it still looks good.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott. In the end I decided to redo the entire drawer with some leftover maple hardfloor floor (i planed off the finish). What is the typical finish for the exterior/interior of a kitchen drawer?

Shellac is the traditional finish for drawer insides. 1 coat sanded and wiped clean. no wax. If you wanna go crazy follow up with another coat.

Quote Originally Posted by john lampros View Post
    .... If you wanna go crazy follow up with another coat.
    Finishers gone wild