Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large maple log that nailed me

I am glad you were not hurt. That seeing said, cool shop and lathes. Look forward to seeing some final pictures.

Joe you were lucky that you pulled the nails whole and didn't break them off and have to dig deeper. The vessel has a very nice grain pattern. It will be a real beauty.

Wow!! what a bowl.... I am just going to give up....

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Joe, I recall seeing pics of your shop before, and these just add to the allure! Great setup and another great piece in the making. I suspect with all the large pieces you do, this isn't the first bunch of nails you have run into.

What amazes me is the small base on this piece before hollowing. I guess the steady takes the force pretty well. Still - amazing!

John thanks for your comments. Actually I started this piece in my friend Steve Sinner's studio on his Robust. It started out at 23" dia. to large for my Powermatic. After I got it shaped I took it home to hollow it. I still had to have a friend help me get it on my lathe as it was still very heavy.
    Also this is actually the 1st time I've hit anything with metal in it. I guess I've just been lucky so far.

As to base it's probably a little less than 2" dia. where it's chucked. All the tennon has to do is drive the piece. The steady supports the all the weight.
    If you recall I think I showed you this at the Symposium this summer where my friend Steve was demoing his hollowing set up.
    Most of my smaller pieces I'll turn down to less than 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    WOW!!!!! Big Vase. Explain how big it is and just "How you are going to hollow it"? Great job.

Thanks Donny. The log started out at 38" long X 23" dia. The finished size after roughing was 31" tall. I rough hollowed it to 30 1/2" deep. I haven'tchecked the dia,after shaping it.
    I'll try to start a new thread & post some pic's of the hollowing later today.

thanks for sharing Joe, very nice

That is going to be another beauty Joe. Looking forward to a few process shots as I find them Fascinating. You and Steve do some spectacular work with exceptional finishing.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Anyone else found bullets in a piece? I have. What a surprise, and the metal is generally soft, so you can actually turn through it.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Thanks Bill. I do have a few pic's of the hollowing. I'll try to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    A roughing lathe AND a finishing lathe. This is totally over my head!Awesome turning too!
    Thanks Baxter. Actually I did the rough shaping in a friends studio on his Robust & finished the rough hollowing at home on my Powermatic. It was 23" in dia. when I started, to large for my lathe. However my friend does have a Robust, 2 Powermatics & a Oneway in his turning studio so we often do start a piece on one lathe and finish it on another.

Quote Originally Posted by joel nucifore View Post
    now thats what I am talking about....... on your word got steves bar and all I can say is WOW can't wait to try it...

but question is it the rolly 2 what I needed?????? putting roof on shed today still about a month off but looking foward to 460 lb pc.

Joel I'm glad you decieded to go with Steve's boring bar. Put the Rolly 2 in it and go deep! It takes a little learning on how far to open the cutter on the Rolly. But with some experimenting you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I open it up a fair amount on the rough hollowing, but almost close it down to next to nothing for my finish turning. When you start to get up to about 24" deep or so you'll want to start closing it down a little on the roughing too.