Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large maple log that nailed me

Large maple log that nailed me

Everything started off well with this large maple log (460 lbs) IMG_1827.jpg
    I had turned most of the bark off it the all of a sudden it nailed me.IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1830.jpg
    I chopped around it & finally got it pulled out. Then I reground the nicks out of my roughing gouge and went back at it. Then you guessed it, It nailed me again.IMG_1831.jpg This time I found a easier way to get it out. I used a parting tool to cut on each side then chiseled out just around the nail. Once again I reground the gouge & went back at it, only to get nailed 2 more times. Hit a total of 4 nails that were buried about 1 1/2" under the bark each nail was 2 3/4" long.
    For a while I didn't think I'd ever get it turned. Then when I went to turn a tennon to chuck it in I found this.IMG_1836.jpg It was starting to rot in the center. This originally was going to be the bottom of my piece,but I decided to make it the top figuring I could leave a little larger opening in it & hollow out the rotted part. The other end was solid so I made it the bottom.
    Here's what I finally came out with.IMG_1842.jpg Now on with the hollowing.

A roughing lathe AND a finishing lathe. This is totally over my head!Awesome turning too!

Been there and done that. We were slabbing out boards with a Alaskan mill on that was about 30" across when we hit a spike 1/4" in diameter. An hour latter after sharpening the 30+ inch saw chain we hit a 16 penny nail. Totaled 3 nails and 3 sharpening for the day. Looks like another great start to a beautiful vase.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

4. How deep are you going to hollow? How long is that form? Pretty nice set of lathes you have there!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Joe - sure looks like you got that form down to a science!! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

WOW!!!!! Big Vase. Explain how big it is and just "How you are going to hollow it"? Great job.

I fell your pain. Hit a clothes line hook with my McNaughton Coring system took the tip off of my one blade.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nice lathes and a nice HF Joe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Metal detectors are your friend for yard trees...

With the shop you have and the size of work you are doing, im sure this is no hobby for you so it leads me to...
    No metal detector/wand ? After time and time again of turning "clean" wood does one just become comfortable and stop checking ?

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Looks like you have this one nailed Joe!! Well done sir!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Now that's cool!!! We'll not the part about the nails. I too want to see your hollowing set up, and the finished piece! Super cool!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

now thats what I am talking about....... on your word got steves bar and all I can say is WOW can't wait to try it...

but question is it the rolly 2 what I needed?????? putting roof on shed today still about a month off but looking foward to 460 lb pc.

Joe,

And looks like you have a great view from your shop windows. At least, you have windows............

Keep us posted..........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Joe, I recall seeing pics of your shop before, and these just add to the allure! Great setup and another great piece in the making. I suspect with all the large pieces you do, this isn't the first bunch of nails you have run into.

What amazes me is the small base on this piece before hollowing. I guess the steady takes the force pretty well. Still - amazing!