Thread: A great start to the weekend and a pre-gloat

A great start to the weekend and a pre-gloat

Had a great Thanksgiving, had a big dinner at mom's with the rest of the family. I brought a selection of turnings to show my sisters and each of them found a favorite, but they wouldn't take them as gifts. One of them actually fell in love with the red/orange/yellow dyed NE ash bowl I posted a few days ago. While I kinda liked the piece, it definitely wasn't one of my favorites and I brought serveral pieces which were much nicer. I told her to just take it, that it was an experimental piece and had some flaws, but she insisted on paying $100 for it! Guess there's just no accounting for taste! Another sister just had to have the spalted maple hf that I posted a month or two ago (the one with the casual poll to decide which button looked best for the lid/finial), the last sister chose a blue dyed ash bowl and my stepsister chose the blue dyed ornament I posted a couple days ago. My stepsister also wanted to order a salad bowl set (a large salad bowl and 4 serving bowls). All in all a very nice Thanksgiving!

Then today I had a Creeker visit with Doug Swanson and his daughter Abbie (and what a cutie she is). They got a tour of the shop (shavings and all), picked out some wood to take back with them and we had a nice chat. You may remember that Abbie won one of the lathes at the AAW symposium, so she had a role in in choosing the wood. Doug took a pic of me and Abbie and I'm sure he'll post it when he gets back home. It's always a pleasure to meet other Creekers and turners!

After Doug and Abbie left, I turned a nice little plate from one of the smaller Jacaranda crotch blanks, then I went to the house for a little break, got online, and with my pockets flush from yesterdays sales and what I have been putting away for tool purchases, I bit the bullet and ordered a McNaughton Center Saver system . I got an email a little later that it has already been shipped, so I expect it should be here maybe by Tuesday! Can't wait to try it out!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Good grief! That sounds like the greatest Thanksgiving ever! Congrats on the sales and the resulting McNaughton... I'm a bit envious! Looking forward to the photo and your impressions of the center saver!

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving! Added to your list of things to be thankful for.

What a great Thanksgiving. Time with family and a little cash for tools to boot. Not much better than that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kathy, you are such a production machine now, I can't imagine what you will do with a coring system!!! There may not be enough wood in AZ to support you!

Congrats on the well received turnings, the cash, and the creeker visit!! Having met Doug, Annie and Ms. Swanson in St. Paul, I know you had a good visit - nice folks.

6. Santa must have gotten his dates mixed up and started in Arizona with his first stop.........then realized he made a mistake.........he figured, that KM is such a sweet kid, I'm just gonna leave all this and come back on Christmas anyway......

Nice holiday with the family........and then have them actually purchase from you................you did not die and go to heaven and not tell anyone did you?

Great story! Pics when the coring rig arrives.....don't forget!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Awesome Thanksgiving. By the way, if Az runs out of wood, my family is in logging.....
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

It doesn't get much better than that!

Kathy, sounds like a great weekend. The best thing you could do to learn the McNaughton system is to PM Reed Gray and buy his DVD. It is well done and Reed has some great info in the disc. Also, if you get it, make sure and watch the bonus stuff at the end of the DVD.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

WOW! Sounds like you had quite the Thanksgiving!! Congrats on all your sales!!

Had the pleasure of meeting Doug at the St. Paul symposium... right after his daughter had won the lathe! Talk about a proud Papa!! Looking forward to seeing the photo of you and Abbie!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sounds like you had a great holiday. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Congrats on a great day! The coring system is a wonderful thing for those who have trouble getting wood!

I'd say that's a pretty good day, Kathy! I'm sure you'll be using that coring system in no time!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kathy, you are such a production machine now, I can't imagine what you will do with a coring system!!! There may not be enough wood in AZ to support you!

Congrats on the well received turnings, the cash, and the creeker visit!! Having met Doug, Annie and Ms. Swanson in St. Paul, I know you had a good visit - nice folks.
    I'm thinking the main reason for the coring system is to reduce the pile of shavings that I stand on while turning, the pile behind the lathe (which doubles as a tool storage table) and the rest of the piles around the lathe . With the coring system I'll be able to turn 3 times as many bowls and make 1/3 the amount of shavings!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Santa must have gotten his dates mixed up and started in Arizona with his first stop.........then realized he made a mistake.........he figured, that KM is such a sweet kid, I'm just gonna leave all this and come back on Christmas anyway......

Nice holiday with the family........and then have them actually purchase from you................you did not die and go to heaven and not tell anyone did you?

Great story! Pics when the coring rig arrives.....don't forget!
    I'm thinking Santa just came early, I don't think he can top this a month from now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Kathy, sounds like a great weekend. The best thing you could do to learn the McNaughton system is to PM Reed Gray and buy his DVD. It is well done and Reed has some great info in the disc. Also, if you get it, make sure and watch the bonus stuff at the end of the DVD.
    It comes with the Mahoney DVD. I also saw Mike Mahoney demo the McNaughton at the Desert Woodturners Roundup back in February (he sure makes it look easy), but I may order Reed's DVD too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Congrats on a great day! The coring system is a wonderful thing for those who have trouble getting wood!
    And even for those that don't! It will be cool to be able to do nested sets, or to save the core from a really nice blank to make a hf or something else.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.