Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange oneida DC location ?

My neighbors like me - I prefer to keep it that way!

If I could put it out side (available space, distant neighbors, code issues) I probably would.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mijal
    Lou,

I noticed you have a muffler on your Oneida. Does it really cut the noise appreciably? (meaning, did you try it with and without the muffler)
    2nd--Is that an Oneida muffler? I've seen some shop fabricated ones, but wonder how effective they are.
    Stan, the current versions of the Oneida filter have the muffler built-in near the top of the filter media.
    -----

Lou, thanks for revisiting. I really wish I could have mounted mine outside, but my shop building is partially submerged into the hill and there is no place that it could have been mounted other than in the same area as the doors...and that isn't going to happen. So I built the closet and am pleased with it in many of the same ways you are with your exterior mount.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

it is an Oneida muffler. I just keep in in place, it seems to work.

Closet or outside, all I say is get it out of the main room. I understand that many have limitations. I live in the last town in CT without zoning and so we can do what we want up here basically. Keep in mind that I am surrounded by a lot of farm land that is only hayed once a year. even the cows don't have an opportunity to file a complaint.

Lou,

What's that white stuff outside your shop?

Rick

P.S. Nice DC setup.

Hi Lou,
    Thanks for the update. I finished the DC enclosure shed and use a window(added to match the design of the shop) to vent the exhaust outside. I think I can simply cut vents thru the wall and use registers to control air flow back into the shop. There is minimal motor and air flow noise in the shop but it seems that the wall the unit is mounted to is acting as a huge subwoofer and fills the shop with harmonic reasonance that is loud. I used rubber shims between the brackets and the wall, but doubt that helps much. Do you notice "extra" noise from your unit transmitted thru the wall also? I'm considering building a rack to make the unit free standing. Thanks, JCB.

I did it to irritate my wife. Hey, two birds with one stone.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Great setup Lou. My Dad is lucky enough to have room off the garage where he built a small shed for the cyclone so the noise won't bug the neighbors. With the slope of the land my house sits on, the pad outside my garage is just about even with the living room windows of my neighbor only 30 feet away so, no go for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler