Thread: Stanley Planes - Replace knobs?

Stanley Planes - Replace knobs?

Hi folks,I've been putting together a set of Stanley hand planes over the last couple of years. These are all user planes. I'm not a collector. Almost all of my old Stanley's have been restored for optimal performance and cosmetic appearance. I have a Bailey 5 1/2 with a low front knob and I really like it. I'd like to replace the tall knobs on my other Stanley's with low knobs. I have found a few people who make excellent reproduction knobs but I still need the short rod and brass barrels. I continue to look through eBay but it occurs to me that perhaps my fellow Creekers may be able to refer me to trusted sources for these parts. Thanks for any information you can provide. -Mike

You could give St. James Bay Tools a try. He has an extensive list of Stanley reproduction parts. Just block off a bit of phone time, I called to order one part...and we chatted for a good half hour! He's a wealth of knowledge.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Thanks Mark. They are on my list and I'll give 'em a ring on Monday. Other suggestions appreciated.

Mike, I'm not trying to disuade you in any way, just throwing my opinion at you.

Stanley went through several evolutions of the front knob because of complaints, failures, and improvements available to them. The low knobs, first among the Stanley line, were great but occasionally broke or cracked during use.

The second generation, the tall knob without a ring cast into the body was a step in the right direction but these knobs failed more than the low knobs.

The third version, a tall knob(somewhat rounded at the base) with a cast ring in the bed was their best version, in terms of stability.

Personally, I like to keep the parts correct on planes, but thats my own hangup.

I'm wondering if you cut down the threaded rod (on both ends) if that would make it short enough. Stanley used an odd threat pattern but there are sources if you would need to add additional threads to the rod after you cut it off; good luck!

Jeff

One comment: I have an early No. 4 with a low knob - and there's not enough room on/behind the knob for my fingers, which aren't that fat. It makes it pretty well impossible for me to use. You might consider for anything smaller than a No. 5 staying with the taller knobs. At least switch out a low knob from some plane to the No. 4 and smaller planes to see if you have the same problem.

You can get replacement nuts and bolts and threaded rods for most stanely planes via their parts dept website, and the same parts are carried by Highland and a few other places.

I switched a plane to a lower front knob (one of Bill Rittners) at one point, and I end up using the hardware from one of the Stanley replacement parts, and just ended up filing off a bit off the rod at both ends to make it work.

I find on some planes the lower front knob feels more comfortable at first, but it ends up meaning part of my palm ends up rubbing on the casting a lot more and it ends up being a lot less comfortable after a while. But again, the feel of a tool is a personal thing and none of us can tell you what's going to feel best for you!
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 11-27-2011 at 9:35 AM.

Jeff, Bill & Joshua,

Your input is greatly appreciated. Whatever I end up replacing on my planes, I'll be keeping the original knobs, totes and hardware in case I need to bring them back to "original". I've put some quote requests out to both Bill Rittner and Nick Obermire for the knobs and have started a discussion with a fellow Creeker about getting some of the threaded rods.

-Mike
    Last edited by Mike Zilis; 11-27-2011 at 1:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I also like low knobs on my planes. The comfort is more in the grip than in the knob.

Only one of my planes has any discomfort with a low knob, a #4-1/2. It is a type 6 and has the original low knob. The discomfort is caused by my hand being too much over the knob and the hair on my fingers then gets trapped under the toe of the plane.

I can either shave my knuckles or keep my fingers and hand a little more towards the top of the knob to prevent this.

I do not think any of my planes will be collector planes in the next century, so I don't worry too much about the correct knobs and totes.

Most of my pre-SW planes have had the larger blade depth adjuster changed out for one of the larger ones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

FYI:

Nick Obermire goes by the user name nicobie on both ebay and woodnet.

Bill Rittner, a member here sells great replacements. I bought a full set from him and they are great!
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11