Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ignorance!!!!!!

Problems with ignorance!!!!!!

Well tried to make a Christmas ornament this weekend, and it didn’t turn (pun intended) to well. Having trouble getting the ball round with a spindle gouge. Don’t know if it’s the grind or the fact that I don’t know what I’m doing. My guess would be the latter or both to tell the truth. Should I be cutting above center, at center, or below center with the gouge. If the pictures make it and you see a glaring problem, please let me know. About the only thing worse than my turning skills???? ,is my picture taking skills. I think the bevel is at 40 degrees and I’m having a bear of a time entering the cut without the gouge skating with me. Picture of the new Delta and the Sorby estate tools.

100_2430.jpg100_2431.jpg100_2432.jpg100_2433.jpg100_2434.jpg100_2435.jpg
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

The gouge looks ok, if it's sharp. Generally you should be at center. If you cutting a ball, then it's just a giant bead and you should determine the center (horizontally) and rub the bevel. The raise the handle until it just starts cutting, while rubbing the bevel. The roll left, then go back to the original position and roll right. If all else fails get a skew and use it like a scraper, horizontal on the tool rest and rock it side to side to make the ball. I turned like that since 1980, the finish is kind of rough but a lot of sanding will fix that.
    Video of using a gouge and one using a scraper:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aSVVja7sl8

http://www.ehow.com/video_4945056_be...odturning.html

So how about some turnings pic's Dwight?? On the iffy side...is that a 6" wheel? Diameter makes a difference!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Maybe it's just the pictures, but I could swear you have a slight dip in the tip of the gouge, rather than completely rounded. If the tip does not have a smooth curve from wing to wing, but instead goes straight across at a point (or worse, dips inward), you're bound to have a nasty catch.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I noticed the same thing as Dan. My spindle gouges are more round on the tip rather than a dip and all of my spindle gouges have a bevel angle of 37*. I would definitely put more point on it. These are Thompson gouges and I am sharpening them with the same angle as I got them. Your gouge angle doesn't look right but it may be the pictures to. As Josh said ride the bevel and roll to the right or left.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dwight, your grind looks a bit steep for my tastes. You might want to look at the chart below that was taken from Doug Thompson's site - it may be helpful to you. Generally, spindle gouges are ground to a more shallow angle than are bowl gouges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan and Bernie spotted most of your problem.......the gouge tip has a dip in it which means the wings enter the wood before the tip does. You think you have contact and before you know it, the tool skates. If you round the tip to an even curve that will help a lot. Try using your thumb on the tool rest as a "stop" until you're in the wood, it will help enormously.

John noticed the angle, it's too steep for what you're doing. You can check that easily with a Hardware store $10 angle finder.

Do you have any turners close by to help, or offer advice? That will cut the frustration level to zero if you do. Don't struggle by yourself, I did, and it's miserable.

Good luck

No cuts are possible when the wood is spinning and the tool is below center, because the wood surface is moving away the tool, but your spindle gouge grind looks OK. Turning a round form is not an easy job, especially for a beginner just learning how to use turning tools, but practice will lead to improved results.

Well, it looks more flat rather than a dip, or concave to me, which would change a bit how it cuts, but nothing drastic. More pointy is a detail gouge, more flat is more of a continental style gouge. The skating as others have said is the cutting edge hitting the wood first, and do rub the bevel first, then pivot the handle till it just starts to cut.

For cutting a sphere, I start at the edges, and nibble my way back to the center. Also, as you are getting closer, take some thing round (ball, washer, large coin, tape roll, etc.) and hold it between your eyes and the piece you are turning. Move it in and/or out to see the curve of the round piece and what your are turning. That will help you see a better curve line.

robo hippy

Balls are a task, for sure. I have been working on some balls for ornament bulbs and its definitely getting easier to "get close" to a pretty round sphere, but mine aren't perfect.

Practice....practice... practice.....or buy a ball jig!!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Practice helps for sure, I am on my 6th ornament and they are getting easier. I do like Reed says and start at the outside, start nibbling off the corners working toward the center. As I finish a cut the gouge is almost vertical on the outside of the ball. I try to make each side identical but don't worry too much if they are slightly different.

Everyone seems to have their own preference, but I find that rounding an ornament, or any bead like shape, is easier with a skew, even if you're scraping a little with the skew. There is certainly a learning curve for following the curve with a gouge and then you have to (or at least I have to) switch hands and turn left handed to get around the other side. Keep practicing. No one gets it right the first time or every time.

Now this is just my 2 cents, but I think ornaments look better if the ball isn't perfectly round. I'm fond of the old "rule of thirds principal" when shaping the balls, with an oval shape that is largest about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will ground on gouge more tommorow and see what happens. I do have 8 inch wheels on my grinder, and I thought I had a 40* bevel on the gouge. Does it need swept back wings, if so how far. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Dwight
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight McNutt View Post
    Does it need swept back wings, if so how far.
    Sweep the wings back as far as you feel comfortable when using it. I sweep mine back as far as possible so I don't catch them on anything and I have a long edge to shave with, though tastes vary. I haven't done any real spindle work to speak of, just bowls, so take that with a grain of salt..
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I just turned my first ornament this weekend, out of some xmas tree cut offs from last year. What I did was draw a line down what I wanted to be the center of the sphere, took a gouge and just started on line and rolled it over. I'm horrible at making spheres but this method seemed to work for me. Then I hollowed out with a small bowl gouge. No fancy hollowing tools here... though I'm thinking of purchasing one now. I had a real hard time judging how thin walls are and trying to get in at an angle was a pain.