Thread: Ryobi LiON vs. NiCAD tool quality

Ryobi LiON vs. NiCAD tool quality

Looking at the prices for Home Depot Ryobi cordless combo kits with LiON vs. NiCAD batteries I see quite a price difference. If I already have LiON batteries (from other Ryobi outdoor tools, blower and string trimmer) it looks like I could save some money by buying the NiCAD tool kit and using the LiON batteries and charger I already own for the light use they would see around the house. Does anyone know if the quality of the tool is any different in the two types of kits or is the cost differential simply due to the battery and the only difference in the tools is the color scheme?

I can't say specifically of the Ryobi but with the tools I have used, the battery and charger are the only difference.

I have no idea if there is any difference in the tools, but I started off with an 18v NiCd set that my wife bought for me with the drill, 5 1/2" circular saw, flashlight, and radio. Then I bought the weed wacker and later the sawzall - all blue "NiCd" tools. I upgraded to a Li-Ion to get more run time out of the weed wacker. The Lithium ran twice as long as the NiCd from the get go. Now, three years later the NiCd battery is almost useless, but all of the tools and the Lithium batteries are all going strong. And I've tortured that drill. It's drilled hundreds of holes in steel, concrete, and the occasional board.
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 11-28-2011 at 9:23 AM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I have no idea is there is any difference in the tools, but I started off with an 18v NiCd set that my wife bought for me with the drill, 5 1/2" circular saw, flashlight, and radio. Then I bought the weed wacker and later the sawzall - all blue "NiCd" tools. I upgraded to a Li-Ion to get more run time out of the weed wacker. The Lithium ran twice as long as the NiCd from the get go. Now, three years later the NiCd battery is almost useless, but all of the tools and the Lithium batteries are all going strong. And I've tortured that drill. It's drilled hundreds of holes in steel, concrete, and the occasional board.
    If it's worthwhile to you, a rebuild of the NiCd battery will likely yield a better-than-new battery. At least that's my limited experience.

Thanks, Curt. I've seen those posts on how that's done, and back in the day when I had no money I might have done that. I now have two Lithium batteries and no need for more. If one of those tanks I'll just buy another.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey