Thread: Spatula - How To

Spatula - How To

Last week some folks expressed interest in seeing how I make wooden spatulas.

One Warning: This is how I do it. This is not the only way. It is probably not the best way. If you feel I'm doing something unsafe, please let me know. Just because I haven't been hurt so far doesn't mean I'm not being stupid.

Step 1: Layout and cutting. I keep a plywood template for tracing these onto 1"x4" boards. I then cut them out on my bandsaw. This is not a precision step. Don't sweat straight lines. It all gets turned round anyway.
    spatula_how_to 01.jpgspatula_how_to 02.jpg

Step 2: Make It Round. I mount the spatula head-in in my chuck, using the pin jaws to maximize the area I can reach. Centering it is not critical, but I try to get it close. Be sure to get it solid and use the tailstock for support. Then make it round.
    Don't worry too much about the head of the spatula. I usually get it so the edge is rounded and straight but there's a lot to be done to it later.
    It's a very good idea to sand it as far as you intend after this step. I didn't in the pics, and paid for it later in hand-sanding. I usually only sand kitchen utensils to 180.
    spatula_how_to 03.jpgspatula_how_to 04.jpg

Step 3: Move The Head. I move the head to one side, making sure I still have enough meat to get a good grip.
    spatula_how_to 05.jpg

Step 4: Turn it. I then turn a large shallow cove in the now offset handle. Typically I do one near the head (neck?) and one near the end of the handle. In this pic I'm only showing the one at the neck. Sand them to final.
    spatula_how_to 06.jpg

Step 5: Move the Head Again. Other direction this time.
    spatula_how_to 07.jpg

Step 6: Turn It. I turn another large shallow cove overlapping the ends (usually) of the two from the previous step. Sand to final.

Pro-Tip: Always sand lengthwise (lathe off) after each grit. This will really smooth the transitions between the offsets.

To be continued...
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Step 7: Cut the Blade. You now have a really cool handle on a triangle 1" thick. Cut it into a blade. I use the bandsaw for this, but there are probably safer ways. If you use a bandsaw, make sure the piece is supported throughout. Here's a before and after.
    spatula_how_to 09.JPGspatula_how_to 10.JPG

Step 8: Sanding. I sand the blade (and any flats left on the neck) with a stationary disk sander (80 grit) to get the saw marks off. I then use a palm sander (120 grit and 180 grit) to refine the edges and smooth the neck and blade further.

Step 9: Finishing (optional). I don't recommend any finish at all. Walnut oil would be ok, or maybe a salad bowl finish. But I prefer the bare wood. I have sometimes wiped them down with mineral oil, but of course that doesn't harden, and feels odd.

spatula_how_to_11.JPG

Pro-Tips:

Don't use a soft wood. I did some in Poplar once. I didn't like the look or feel of them and I doubt they hold up well. I've used Black Locust for the last couple of batches (including this one). It's tough on the tools and takes more sanding, but it could literally last for generations. Curly Maple is great too.

Straight grain is your friend.

Take light cuts in the offsets. You're turning air most of the time, so be careful, keep the tool steady. This may not be a beginner project.

Feedback and critique requested please.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Very good job on the process, even I understand it. I have some Maple-will have to give it a try. Thanks again

thanks for the tutorial. look interesting

thanks for sharing

Well that's certainly better than I was going to try (was going to use a drive centre). The chuck with pin jaws just makes too much sense.

I think you did a really good job on the write-up. I get mixed up when I see multiple-centre pieces. I thought you had more than two off-sets going on but now realize that the first rounding is in fact another centre. I never think of that.

Thanks a ton! I have some salad servers to do and this looks like a great way to go, with a slightly different shape of the head.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Neat idea! A little more carving and shaping and you've got yourself a spoon! A few cuts with the bandsaw, and a spatula becomes a fork! Lots of variations possible!

What's your opinion on using walnut for this? I have tons of 1" X 6" X 18" walunut slabs.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Smith View Post
    What's your opinion on using walnut for this? I have tons of 1" X 6" X 18" walunut slabs.
    I would definitely make few out of walnut. With careful layout, you can get three of them about a foot long out of 1x6x12. Heck, make spoons instead (I'm too lazy to carve them out) and you could get 4 out of 1x6.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    I would definitely make few out of walnut. With careful layout, you can get three of them about a foot long out of 1x6x12. Heck, make spoons instead (I'm too lazy to carve them out) and you could get 4 out of 1x6.
    Cool, thanks!!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.