Thread: Uvex Bionic Face Shield alternative ?

Question Uvex Bionic Face Shield alternative ?

Right now i just use safety glasses (i think they are Dewalts) and want a shield.
    Searching around here leads to the two real expensive 500+ shelds that also scrub and the Uvex Bionic face shield.
    Most (not all) of the threads talking about Uvex are a few years old and i thought i would ask if there is anything new ?

More then likely this shield will be a replacement for the glasses (ive read from the Uvex site to where eye protection along with their shield, but hey... i know myself enough to be honest with me).
    During this week, i plan on talking with the "safety guy" at work to see the rating on the glasses they make us ware (metal machine shop) and also look through some of the catalogs he has, but thought i would also ask here.

Thanks for any help.
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

Joe --- I use the bionic face shield, mostly in conjunction with a 3M half mask respirator and safety glasses with bifocals. The respirator actually traps finer dust than some of the expensive air powered units. It would also serve as a buffer if something flew off the lathe and struck the face shield. I don't know how much actual protection the shield would provide in case of a serious accident, but I sure like the way it deflects shavings and other debris that would otherwise hit me. I need the glasses for the bifocals, but I would still wear them anyway, wouldn't depend on just the shield for eye protection.

There was a thread a while back about safety gear after a couple of turners were killed in lathe accidents back maybe about a year ago. A lot of people were moved to start using more safety gear after that. On thing I'd recommend is getting the anti scratch coating, it does make a difference.
    Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have the Uvex shield and it is very good. I will use it when roughing out green blanks only. Safety glasses just don't work if a piece flies off the lathe or a piece of the wood flies off. I had a knot come out at around 900 rpm 4 or 5 yrs ago and busted my lip open while wearing safety glasses. I now have to wear glasses with bifocals so safety glasses don't work well with them. I now use a Airstream AS 400 anytime I go into the shop to saw, sand, or use any machine will cause dust. It has great face protection and also has a hepa filter for my lungs.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The last pair of safety glasses I bought at Wood Craft didn't even have frames around the lenses. I use a Bionic when roughing or anytime the chips are hitting my face. About two months ago I was roughing out a maple bowl with a large bark inclusion running across the middle. It blew apart and I caught it in my chest (3 weeks with a bruised sternum). Then it went up my chest and hit my face shield hard enough to nock it off my head and knock the lens out of the shield. I am sure I would at least suffered a broken nose from the flying piece. Safety glasses may keep out small chips or metal when grinding, but will not stop exploding bowl parts.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Not suggesting any product but I do compare, this one is really cheap but the rating is ANSI Z87 + is that the same as ANSI Z87.1+ ??? And a replace visor for $3.95 that meets high impact and high velocity test???
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Apprentice_Face_ Shield___app_face_shield?Args=
    They also have this one rated ASNI 1+ ??? At least it looks like it may stop something. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Safety_Face_Shie ld___face_shield?Args=
    It would nice if someone could check and see if they have the rating formed into shield when molded as required by law.

I have the Dewalt safety bifocals also. Each part; lens, glass frames, and ear pieces all have the rating formed into the product during production. This is where I got the Dewalts from; I think they were about $22 at Lowes or HD. They also have them at lower prices for non bifocal. http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/dpg5511d_232.html
    They do show the full ANSI Z87.1+ rating

I would be interested in the opinion of your safety guy on the face shield rating. Are they for real ratings with just typo’s or marketing ratings (such as HP listed on a lot of peak/max/achieves/develops motors)?

I don’t know much about safety standards but I do take them seriously.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

According to the link below 'they' test spectacles, goggles and faceshields all at different speeds to achieve the same impact standard... that brings me to question the Bionic. It is rated at ANSI Z87+, if spectacles are also rated the same, isnt that like wearing two condoms ?
    I understand safety, but i personally have no intention on suiting up with jousting armor to turn something.
    Im gonna bet Bionic includes the secondary note just for liabilty reasons, or they are blowing wind like M.Mills suggest about HP - but will do alittle more research before forming a real opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    ...the rating is ANSI Z87 + is that the same as ANSI Z87.1+ ???
    This site says, yes.
    http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ansiz8712003.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I would be interested in the opinion of your safety guy on the face shield rating. Are they for real ratings with just typo’s or marketing ratings (such as HP listed on a lot of peak/max/achieves/develops motors)?
    Did not get a chance to talk with the safety guy, maybe tomorrow (we work different shifts).
    Not sure if he will have an opinion about that - hes a young guy (mid twenties) with alot of knowledge (general engineering degree and someone pushed the safty stuff on him a year+ ago, but he does have alot of information in his head and at his finger tips), but little experience in the "real world".

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

I just bought the Bionic face shield and love it. I use it mainly for roughing out the stock then use my glasses when doing the fine stuff. I always hated wearing a face shield so didn't use one very often. After I got the Bionic I wear it every time now. I got mine from Amazon for $34.50 with free shipping with the one with the coated lens, that's the cheapest I could find.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VY3ACE/...SIN=B001VY3ACE
    Scott

bionic face shield

The bionic has saved my bacon twice, one time when a knot came out and once when a bowl blew apart. Both times the impact went straight to the face shield. I wear it all the time when at the lathe.

I use the cheapo face shield and a 3m half face resiprator. With all the CA flying around landing on the shield, I'd have to replace the shield pretty often. Also, if you read the shield type safety gear directions, they say to also wear eye protection. The shards can hit your chest and bounce up into your eyes. Been there done that one. I think the respirator helps deflect a lot of the blow when something hits you in the shield.

Oh yeah I also rough with my cage down. I may be the only one who doesn't have it hanging on the wall. Everytime I hear a solid piece hit the cage, it makes me happy.

I have the Bionic face shield and love it. It is comfortable enough to wear all the time. For a dust mask I have a 2 canister face mask. Scott thanks for the amazon link. I paid close to 50$ for it new so that's a good price. The replacement lens has a nice price. Mine is getting scratched a bit and a lot of dried drops of goo on it ) I hear using a used dryer sheet to wipe it helps dust not stick as much. I tried it and won't swear to it but it seems to help.

I just blow the dust off with a compressor, and take the shield out and wash it when it gets too many dried droplets on it. I would not recommend anyone take their eyes for granted. I played in bands for ten years, and now have to wear a pair hearing aids. Wish I had protected my ears better back then.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome