Years ago, my dad was given a bandsaw by a woodworking friend who had upgraded to a larger model. We used the saw occasionally, but it sat basically neglected in the shop for years. When my dad moved to a house with much less shop space, he gave the saw to a family friend. The saw has not been used since it was placed in that friend's shop. When he found out that I had taken up woodworking, he offered to let me have the saw. It will be coming to my house in a few weeks.

I remembered enough about the saw to do a little searching around for information, and I'm fairly certain it's a Rockwell 28-100. It's a 10" saw, and I do not remember the motor size (I suspect it's 1/3-3/4 HP as that's what is on the few I've found info about online). As I remember, the saw motor ran very well and the saw vibrated very little (almost none) the last time I used it some years ago. The blade wriggled quite a bit as I remember though. There is an extra blade with the saw that is still unused as far as I know.

What do I need to do with this saw once I receive it to make sure it's in proper working order? I am assuming that there are a number of things which need to be repaired, cleaned, tuned up, replaced, etc, before it's ready to use, but I don't know where to start. Also, what are the safe limitations of the saw? I know it's a small saw compared to what many here use, so I don't want to attempt something unsafe I've seen someone here with a larger saw do.

Thanks for your help,
D